Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z motor gets stuck?

Posted by bengk 
Z motor gets stuck?
August 04, 2013 04:50PM
Hi. I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem I have. I'll start a print from the SD card and the printer will move normally but when it's time for the extruder to go down, one of the z motors will stop moving and make a loud buzzing noise. This just causes a lot of headaches since the other z motor is continuing to operate. I've printed perfectly fine on this printer before and this doesn't happen when I move the motors through Pronterface. What could be the problem? Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Re: Z motor gets stuck?
August 05, 2013 04:49AM
Moving in Pronterface but not during a print is usually a sign of the max Z speed set too high in the firmware. Are you using the firmware I provide?

What speed is set in pronterface and what speed is in the firmware? Note the former is in mm/m and the latter in mm/s. They are normally set to 240 / 4.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 05, 2013 02:22PM
Yes. I'm using the firmware you provided and only changed things for calibrating. I don't think I've touched the speed settings at all.

The speed set in pronterface as you can see is at 240 and the firmware shows 4.

I also took a video to give you better view of what's happening.
[youtu.be]

I'm looking around skeinforge and i do see the maxium z feedrate in the speed tab to be set at 8mm/s. Could that be the problem?
August 05, 2013 05:10PM
No, the firmware should limit the speed so it doesn't matter what the slicer sends. Slic3r even relies on this and doesn't attempt to limit the Z speed.

If you set the speed in pronterface to 480mm/m and move it what happens?

You could also try reducing the speed in the firmware to 3 mm/s to see what it happens, but all other Mendel90s work at 4.

Is the axis free to move? If the Z bars aren't exactly parallel it might struggle. You could drive it to the bottom and then loosen and re-tighten the right Z motor bracket and then drive it to the top and loosen and re-tighten the right Z bar clamp to ensure the right bar is parallel to the left.

Have you put any oil on the lead screws?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2013 05:11PM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login