Advanced

Problem - y-axis missed steps? (solved)

Posted by Torkel 
Problem - y-axis missed steps? (solved)
September 14, 2013 09:17AM
I have a problem where my prints are destroyed, look:

[www.flickr.com]

Anybody seen this?

Printing from latest Cura sent some error messages in the console, so first I thought that was it. But it happens when printing from SD with pronterface as well...

Could it be missed y-axis steps? But that seems unreasonable since when I try to push it under power it is very firm..

One thing I have noticed is that the stepper circuits are quite warm. I know they have a temperature control circuit. Could it be over heating of A4898 and subsequent missed steps?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2013 03:33PM by Torkel.
Re: Problem - y-axis missed steps?
September 14, 2013 02:36PM
The drivers shouldn't overheat unless you have a very high room temperature, I have run them in 30C ambient with no problems.

If the steps are multiples of 0.8mm then reduce the acceleration in Marlin from 4000 to 2000.

If they are multiples of 2.5mm check the belt is not slipping teeth.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 15, 2013 01:01AM
I had a similar problem with my Printrbot Jr. and it was because the belt wasn't tight enough, and would slip just a little bit every time it moved. Could that be a possibility?
September 15, 2013 03:32PM
Looks like it's solved smiling smiley

I lowered the acceleration, as per your recommendation Nophead, and it seams to have solved my issues - three prints now of same size as above image all successful!

Thank you for your tips!

Other things I checked was the belt tension (which was ok), and I removed the cooling fan and its hood-thing as that has gotten stuck a few times on protruding pieces of extruded plastic.
September 15, 2013 04:03PM
You might want to print one of these: [forums.reprap.org] to hold the fan duct more level and higher.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Re: Problem - y-axis missed steps? (solved)
September 15, 2013 04:23PM
You know, I _just_ saw that here on the forum and thought "I should print one of those" smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login