Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Design updates

Posted by nophead 
Design updates
October 07, 2013 10:34AM
In case anybody hasn't noticed: I have finally found enough time to blog the changes that recent kits have, see [hydraraptor.blogspot.co.uk].

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Re: Design updates
October 07, 2013 01:30PM
Hi,

This may sound really basic... but how do I add the changes to Skeinforge that are uploaded on GitHub?

Thanks
October 07, 2013 04:40PM
Use the download as Zip button on Github to download the project and then copy Settings/.skeinforge to where skeinforge stores setting on your system. I.e. same as copying them from the SD card as described in the Manual.

You might want to back up your own settings first.

October 07, 2013 04:57PM
I can't see that option, maybe it's Firefox not showing it. Where should I be looking for that option?

Thanks
October 07, 2013 05:03PM
Bottom right of [github.com]

This is the address the button gives: [github.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2013 05:03PM by nophead.

October 08, 2013 03:03AM
I thought it was at the top.

Thanks
October 08, 2013 05:58AM
Yes I think it used to be. It is poor page design as I have seen this question a few times and struggle to find it myself sometimes.

October 12, 2013 03:48AM
I've updated all the new settings but I'm not to sure if I've done it right.

Could you have a look at the attached image and let me know if the messages on screen are correct?

Thanks
Attachments:
open | download - Is this right.png (267.2 KB)
October 12, 2013 04:01AM
No that looks like the first time you run it and it creates the settings in your home directory from the defaults. You then need to replace those with the ones from github following the latest instructions in the manual. Instead of using the Settings folder from the SD card you use the one from github.

October 12, 2013 04:31AM
Ok, Thanks.

I done to prints last night, one with the old settings and one with the new, the new settings gave a much better print.
October 12, 2013 07:54AM
I'm now getting this error message in the image attached, any thoughts on what the problem could be?
Attachments:
open | download - Untitled.jpg (358.6 KB)
October 12, 2013 08:14AM
What does it say in the log file it mentions?

I often get an error when closing Pronterface but not when it is running.

October 14, 2013 03:08PM
Should my original M6 brass nuts fit directly into the new x ends? I have printed the two new ends, but my M6 nuts seem far to small to sit it there nice and snug.

Attached is a picture, am I missing something?
Attachments:
open | download - photo.JPG (136 KB)
October 14, 2013 03:33PM
danlad1631
my M6 nuts seem far to small to sit it there nice and snug

Are you sure those are M6? Do they screw onto your lead screws? They look a bit small to me...
October 14, 2013 03:43PM
These are the ones that came with my original kit, I bought the kit about 4 months ago. In the original manual it refers to them as M6.

Just measured the lead screw and it measures 6mm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2013 03:45PM by danlad1631.
October 14, 2013 03:52PM
danlad1631
Just measured the lead screw and it measures 6mm.

Not the lead screw, the nut. Does that nut fit your lead screw? An M6 nut should be almost 10mm wide across its flats, and that recess is about 11mm. From your photo the nut looks too small?
October 14, 2013 03:56PM
Yes the nut does fit the lead screw and it measures almost 10mm across the flats. The printed part measures 13.50mm across the flats.
October 14, 2013 04:14PM
Hmm. You're right, that nut trap is too big. It looks like the hole for the lead screw is too big as well. What did you slice that with? The nut trap doesn't even appear when I slice using Slic3r so I haven't actually successfully fitted my new x-ends yet.
October 14, 2013 04:24PM
I used SF with the new settings. Once it's printed you have to remove a single layer to expose the nut trap, so you can't measure the trap before you print it.

The problem now is the printer is in bits, so I can't print any new parts.
October 14, 2013 04:56PM
Yeah, when I slice with Slic3r and print the part then I can keep removing layers of plastic but that nut trap never appears LOL

Might have to wait for Chris or someone with an equivalent level of expertise to diagnose this one, sorry. confused smiley
October 14, 2013 05:01PM
LOL, does it drive you nuts... thanks for trying to help though.
October 14, 2013 06:26PM
Read my blog post about the nut traps: [hydraraptor.blogspot.co.uk]

October 15, 2013 02:32AM
I've read the blog again and I cannot find anything about the nut traps being bigger than the nut itself.

Am I missing it? I would of thought the M6 nut would be a snug fit, like on the old X ends.

Thanks
October 15, 2013 05:40AM

The nut trap for the lead screw is now at the top (don't be fooled by the hexagonal hole at the bottom, that is just clearance to allow the nut to be fitted to the leadscrew first). This greatly increases the distance of the nut from the Z coupling when the Z axis is at the bottom. When the nut was at the bottom it got to within about 10mm so any eccentricity was magnified by about 20 at the top of the leadscrew.

Because holes can't be printed in mid air there are one layer thick support membranes at the bottom and the top of the nut trap. This creates a completely enclosed void which revealed a bug in OpenScad. It generates an STL with the internal faces facing the wrong way, i.e. outwards instead of inwards. Fortunately Skeinforge does not care and slices it correctly but Slic3r doesn't.

The version on the blog also has links to the OpenScad bug report and the Slic3r issue with a workaround by Tony Lock. If you add a tiny hole in the membrane it then works in Slic3r but not Skeinforge.

The nut traps in the top are exactly the same size as the ones at the bottom of the old design.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 05:42AM by nophead.

October 15, 2013 05:53AM
I have sliced it with SF and not slic3r, if I'm reading it right SF doesn't have an issue. I uploaded an image of the problem a few posts up, I can reveal the trap but it 3.5mm to big.

I'm not good with understanding the way slicers work so maybe I'm not getting it. I was hoping to be able to use the STL file from your download, slice it with SF print it. Is there something else I should need to do?

Thanks
October 15, 2013 06:17AM
In that case it looks like you have the STL for one of the other versions of the machine that uses 8mm lead screws. You need the one in the dibond/stls directory.

October 15, 2013 06:28AM
The problem I have now is my X ends are in bits. The clamps that hold the rods had split all the way thorough, now I've taken them off they are useless. Can you send me all the parts needed for the X ends as I cannot print anything? What will the cost be?

Thanks
October 15, 2013 09:06AM
PM me with a list of parts you need.

October 15, 2013 07:12PM
Chris,

When you say that the outlines and infill are now both set to 40mm/s in the new SF profiles, any idea how to do this in Slic3r?
Slic3r has a bazillion speed settings for print moves. Do I set them all to 40mm/s or just the "perimeters" and "infill" settings?

The full list of settings are:
Perimeters
Small perimeters
External perimeters
Infill
Solid infill
Top solid infill
Support material
Bridges
Gap fill
October 15, 2013 07:20PM
I guess all of them to get the same effect I have with Skeinforge. I.e. constant speed when extruding.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login