Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

bed leveling with new style 'x ends' from nophead issues

Posted by qwert75 
bed leveling with new style 'x ends' from nophead issues
November 08, 2013 06:11PM
hello everyone,

having some major issues with bed levelling, had to get replacements from nophead for the 'x ends' as mine had cracks and failed, with the new style im having issues leveling, when i tighten up the x bar clamps one end of the x carriage lifts off of the lead screw and thus not truly level.

the only solution i can seem to think of is putting a shim under the left side( the side thats lifting) to make the holes in line with the opposite side to prevent lifting.

any ideas are so very welcomed i really need to get printing again =[
Re: bed leveling with new style 'x ends' from nophead issues
November 09, 2013 06:46AM
I can't imagine why that would be. Do the parts look flat? Are the bearings seated properly.

How are you measuring "level"? You might be able to correct it by loosening the Z bar clamps if the Z bars are not quite vertical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2013 09:08AM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
November 09, 2013 10:58AM
the parts you sent look perfect and the bearings are seated perfectly, im measuring the bed with a dial gauge and running it around the bed. i only noticed when the bed was perfectly level, i went to retrieve the gauge and the left side dipped significantly, at least a couple of mm, ive tried loosening the bar clamps on both z clamps and the x clamps(individually i tried almost everything i could think of), i still carnt get a significant grasp on the x bars without the left side being raised off of its hex nut.

this is to date the most confusing thing my poor on m90 has decided to test me on (apart from the glass breaking while not in use and the extruder potentiometer changing value again while untouched)
November 09, 2013 01:58PM
It it raises off its nut you just wind the nut up to meet it so that isn't an issue in itself. The X ends are all printed from the same g code on the same machine and I have used two pairs myself and shipped many in kits.

Sorry I can't explain any of your three problems!

November 09, 2013 02:00PM
untill i can find a better solution, the only effective thing to do was to only clamp on pair of the screws on the motorbracket (pair furthest from the motor) to allow slight variation in the angle of the bar, but if you have any other suggestions nophead or feel as this is entirely foolish please give me a heads up before proceed to need more replacements haha.
November 09, 2013 02:02PM
sorry i haddnt noticed your reply, the only reason it seemed to be level was the dial gauages spring was enough to keep it at the same value as the left side was off of the screw. i thought about doing that but it failed.
November 09, 2013 05:57PM
So if it level according to the gauge but the nut is not touching why don't you just wind the motor and raise the nut so it still level and both nuts are engaged?

Sorry I just don't understand the problem.

November 09, 2013 07:21PM
yeah sorry, i got a bit confused when trying to explain, id spent several hours trying to get it and got confused when trying to explain ill try again.

when i levelled it i found out the x bar clamps were loose on the motor bracket (missed them), tightened even slightly and the left side would lift, and thus unlevel, it would only lift if both pairs on the motor bracket side on the bar clamps where both tightened.

which says to me that the groves the bar clamps are nestled in the x motor bracket side aren't in line with the opposite side and with the now improved clamping method this slight variation is exaggerated at the opposite side when tightened (the miss alignment must only be about 0.1 mm at the bracket side, and the distance from the clamp amplifies it, the deviation could be due to poor construction or just deviation in the print).

while logic would say to try and shift the z bars to the left to compensate for the alignment issue, the clamps were at there extreme of movement and thus couldn't be shifted enough to compensate (although it lessened the issue)

my only solution is to tighten the pair furthest from the motor and have the other pair just tight enough so the bolts dont rattle, it then allows the bars to align better which solves the problem but it means it only has two bolts clamping on one side.

the only reason i can tell if its due to poor construction i didnt experiance this before would be cause of the previous design being more flexible.

im really sorry for the confusion, been trying to juggle several reports and projects at the same time brains a little fried.

hope i clarified the issue a bit better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login