Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3 times filament got clogged

Posted by bastard 
3 times filament got clogged
December 09, 2013 05:08AM
Hi,

during the weekend I tried to print a Christmas-Tree with Village Green from Faberdashery. The combined plates with the branches 5 to 10 came out very nice. But the branches 1 to 4 got me problems. I printed them seperately, sliced them with the provided skeinforce profile PLA 0.2. The leaves are good, but the studs in the middle were bad. It looked that the nozzle gave no material out. I canceled the print and had to remove the filament out of the hotend. There was a bulge at the top of the hotend which caused the blockage.

After cleaning the hotend 4 times I did a little openscad and printed 4 studs on its own to hotmelt-glue the tree together. All good. The yesterdays 6h printing job (same colour, same material, yoda-head) was printed without any problems.

Now my question is - what is wrong? Is it possible that such a stud forces a bulge? What could be done to avoid this? If it helps, I can provide the gcode files.

MfG / Regards

Stefan

Blog / Gallery / Wiki / Mendel90 kit since Sep 2013 from Nophead / Original Prusa I3 MK3 since Feb 2018 /
OpenScad Workshop: Kursdateien
Octoprint Patron since April 2016
Re: 3 times filament got clogged
December 09, 2013 08:20AM
I suspect the slicer slows it right down when printing the stud to allow it to cool and the filament has time to heat at the top.

Have you got silicone tape insulation on the hot end and the fan duct with a hole?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 09, 2013 09:44AM
Hi Chris,

yes I have.

MfG / Regards

Stefan

Blog / Gallery / Wiki / Mendel90 kit since Sep 2013 from Nophead / Original Prusa I3 MK3 since Feb 2018 /
December 09, 2013 05:53PM
Odd because with those two mods there should be no problem with it getting too hot at the top. Is the fan running when it does the small bit?

December 10, 2013 02:58AM
Hi Chris,

yes the fan was (as far as I remember) running. It's inside the PLA 0.2 profile to switch on the fan after the first few layers?

Has anyone else printed one of the mentioned tree branches?

MfG / Regards

Stefan

December 10, 2013 07:39AM
Yes with the profile I supply it should be on after the first layer. Is the fan definitely working? I wouldn't expect it to jam even if it wasn't actually. The red tape on its own seemed to be enough for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login