Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Not nearly enough m3 cap screws and nylock nuts?

Posted by jakobnator 
Not nearly enough m3 cap screws and nylock nuts?
May 08, 2014 04:24PM
I am currently building a mendel90 (sturdy) from my own sourced parts except for the screws who I bought from nophead. Anyways I have been following the dibond instruction manual changing out wood screws instead of cap screws and nuts as necessary. I am currently assembling the y axis and, I have 1 nylon nut and 1 m3 x16mm cap screw left. Am I using them in steps I shouldn't be because I still need ~12 more screws and I am only at step 13.

Unrelated question: I haven't put the x carriage on yet but should the weight of the carriage keep the z nut in place because it comes off the z axis if it is screwing down unless something is pressing down on it.

Thanks, jakobnator
Re: Not nearly enough m3 cap screws and nylock nuts?
May 08, 2014 05:20PM
Use the matrix here: https://github.com/nophead/Mendel90/blob/master/sturdy/bom/bom.txt to find where all the screws should be used. Ignore the parts list in the dibond manual and use the sub assembly BOMs in the same directory.

Yes gravity holds the axis on the nuts. If one nut is not touching then wind that motor until it is. If the axis can't be levelled with both nuts touching then the z bars are not vertical. On the sturdy version you need to align it with a set square as described here: http://reprap.org/wiki/Mendel90_Build_Manual#Z_Axis_Assembly.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 08, 2014 05:35PM
Yea I went through the different BOM and I don't have enough m3 cap screws/nuts I even substituted wood screws for the y bearing mount and y belt anchor and I am still coming short.
May 08, 2014 07:31PM
The fastener kit should have the same number as the bom. For example 21 M3 cap by 16. If you look at the line in the matrix you can see where they are all used. If you have used any anywhere else you will be short.

The Y bearing mounts use M4.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login