Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upgrading Arduino

Posted by Garry Bartsch 
Upgrading Arduino
May 02, 2014 04:40PM
When I start Arduio it tells me there is a newer version and asks if would I like to DL it. Now this version (the one that came with the Mendel90) suits me fine but I also like to keep current on software. Should I install the newest version? I hesitate because I thought I remember reading one time that not all versions of Arduino are compatible will all printers? The last thing I want to do is mess up my smoothly running system so I'd like to be sure before I proceed.

Or maybe I should just turn this notification off in preferences?

Any advice would be welcome. Thank you.

Garry
Re: Upgrading Arduino
May 02, 2014 05:46PM
My philosphy is to never update software unless I have to because it nearly always gets worse!

I just pushed a change to github that makes it compile with later versions. I have used V1.0, V1.01 and V1.05 successfully. I can't say I have noticed any improvements in the IDE, it still remains awfull and the worst I have ever used in a long career as an embedded systems programmer.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 02, 2014 07:54PM
I hear you. I have turned off the notification and will leave the version as-is.

In Preferences there is a checkbox to 'Use External Editor.' I haven't been able to see what this actually does but it would be so nice to be able to edit using some other program.
May 03, 2014 04:47AM
nophead
My philosphy is to never update software unless I have to because it nearly always gets worse!

You old cynic smiling smiley I take the opposite stance that things can only get better and updates are, mostly, worthwhile.

nophead
I just pushed a change to github that makes it compile with later versions. I have used V1.0, V1.01 and V1.05 successfully. I can't say I have noticed any improvements in the IDE, it still remains awfull and the worst I have ever used in a long career as an embedded systems programmer.

You can't have used an Intel MDS then? I think that would qualify as the worst (vintage) development environment I ever had the misfortune to use. A good job S-100 based systems came along shortly after... ah, memories!

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
May 03, 2014 04:52AM
Garry Bartsch
I hear you. I have turned off the notification and will leave the version as-is.

There was a recent 1.0.5r2 release that addressed some Windows USB driver issues. It might be worth updating for that but I would not bother with version 1.5 (which mostly introduces Due support).

Gary Bartsch
In Preferences there is a checkbox to 'Use External Editor.' I haven't been able to see what this actually does but it would be so nice to be able to edit using some other program.

I believe it does what it says but I often edit outside the Arduino IDE and just use the IDE for uploads. I am not a great fan of Arduino and would like to get away from it completely.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
May 11, 2014 06:14PM
Hi,

I would like to edit in another text editor like you are doing. Can you explain how I would go about using another editor to edit the Configuration.h file? And then upload it to the firmware?

Thanks.

neildarlow
I believe it does what it says but I often edit outside the Arduino IDE and just use the IDE for uploads.

Regards,
Neil Darlow
May 11, 2014 11:56PM
I got it. I just opened Configuration.h in EditPlus, made changes, open Arduino and uploaded. Done. Very nice. This is much better. Thank you for the clue to get started.
August 18, 2014 01:54PM
Garry,

Don't do it. I just did it today and couldn't make it work.
Maybe I screwed up something, but 1.5.7 didn't work for me at all.
I returned to 1.0.1 and turned off the check for updates option.

Now I'm happy again.

Tamas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2014 02:59PM by tomika.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login