Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recommendations for increased print speed?

Posted by neildarlow 
Recommendations for increased print speed?
September 15, 2014 07:16AM
Hi All,

I am currently printing a good quality 4043D white PLA with conservative print speeds of 25mm/s and 50mm/s for perimeters and infill respectively at a temperature of 185C.

Is it realistic to increase these speeds to 38mm/s and 75mm/s reliably and what amount of temperature increase would I need to achieve these speeds?

TIA,
Neil Darlow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2014 07:17AM by neildarlow.

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
Re: Recommendations for increased print speed?
September 16, 2014 07:14AM
Hi,

I answered my own question by performing a few experiments.

For the above material, based in observed print quality, it looks like each 10mm/s of print speed increase requires a 5C temperature increase.

I can now print at 80mm/s with an extruder temperature of 200C at a reasonable quality.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
September 16, 2014 07:41AM
Interesting. There are two aspects to speed versus temperature:

At higher speed, hence pressure, the die swell increases so you end up stretching the plastic more to get the target size. Increasing the temperature reduces the viscosity and hence the die swell reduces. You could find these relationships by extruding at different speeds and temperatures into mid air and measuring the resulting diameter.

The other aspect is that with a short melt zone like the J-head, or even more so with an E3D, then the plastic may not be in the melt zone long enough to reach the same temperature as the heater block. So as you extrude faster it will come out cooler. I am not sure how you would measure that accurately.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 16, 2014 10:05AM
Hi Chris,

I suspected that, at faster print speeds, the plastic might not achieve the hot-end temperature.

I increased the temperature in order to maintain a temperature at which it will extrude at least as well as at 50mm/s and 185C. I did not want the temperature to fall sufficiently to cause a jam.

If you are going to TCT this year perhaps we might find some time to chat about this (I find extruder dynamics fascinating) and a few other ideas I have on the hardware front.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login