Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Glass sheet orientation?

Posted by Rich K. 
Glass sheet orientation?
October 18, 2014 07:59PM
This may seem like a silly question, but, here goes...

I bought a sheet of 3mm borosilicate glass to go on my print bed. It was sold as a 200mm x 214mm piece in order to clear the corner screws on the bed. Is there a "best direction" to orient the longer axis of the glass - in other words, along the "Y" axis, or along the "X" axis? Or would it depend on what I am printing and how it is oriented?
Re: Glass sheet orientation?
October 18, 2014 09:38PM
I notice on my machine that when the nozzle is at the back right corner (nearest the PSU) it is closer to the edge of the PCB than the other three edges so I align my glass to that corner.

I have implemented the anti-ooze start/nozzle wipe in my start.gcode and although this wipes the nozzle as close to the front edge of the glass as I dare to go, it still results in some reduction in the maximum printable area in my Y-direction. If I had longer glass then I would orient it so that the extra was on this front edge, thus allowing me to put the wipe manoeuvre right on the very edge of the print area without having to worry about it falling off the edge of the glass.
October 18, 2014 11:56PM
If you are using a heated bed PCB with connectors at one edge, then the part with the connectors won't heat up and there is no point in having glass over that bit. So orient the glass to leave that edge clear.

There is no need to use borosilicate glass for normal PLA or ABS bed temperatures, ordinary float glass will do - except perhaps if you have an unusually high-powered bed heater.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 19, 2014 05:50AM
The designed orientation is with the glass along the x axis and the clips on the sides of the carriage as shown in the manual.

It will work with the glass the other way round but you should then move the clips to front and back so they are always on the edges that the glass runs right up to. The only downside is clips then move outside the footprint of the machine.

On my machine that prints ABS parts on PET tape I rotate to glass 90 degrees occasionally to even the wear on the tape.

I can't think of any reason why the start up wipe cannot be at the side. I think I have it at the front so I can see it easily.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login