Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jammed hotend, heat it in the oven?

Posted by sc3 
sc3
Jammed hotend, heat it in the oven?
January 13, 2015 01:36PM
The plastic (PLA) have been deformed and can´t get in the hotend. I have read that I can take a heat gun and warm up the cold end of the hotend but I don´t have one. I also read that I can put the hotend on the bed and insulate it and heat it to 80, but the problem with that is that the printer won´t turn on because the hotend is disconnected. Is it possible to put the hotend, with the red insulating tape and the green and the red wires, in the oven and heat it to 80C and then try to pull the plastic out?

Do I need to remove all plastic or is it enough to just remove the blocking part and then install it in the printer again and just insert the filament to push it in the hotend?

Any help is very much appreciated!
Attachments:
open | download - jammed.jpg (332.4 KB)
Re: Jammed hotend, heat it in the oven?
January 13, 2015 04:12PM
I think it will all withstand 80C but that is low for an oven, it may overshoot. It might be safer to dip the cold end in a glass of near boiling water for a while.

If you clear plastic from the hex nut it should work because from there on it is constant diameter.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
sc3
Re: Jammed hotend, heat it in the oven?
January 14, 2015 08:18AM
Tried dipping the cold end in near boiling water and was able to pull it out with pliers, now it works again! Now I can continue with the calibration. Thank you Nophead for the help!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login