Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Experience on Panelolu2 for Melzi and nopheads marlin?

Posted by yak54x 
Re: Experience on Panelolu2 for Melzi and nopheads marlin?
October 01, 2013 12:43PM
IT WOOOOOORKKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Nophead and Alan!!!!!!!!
October 01, 2013 01:09PM
Following the instructions from nophead, everything compiled perfectly and panel seems to be working fine now.

Thank you for the help!
October 01, 2013 01:49PM
So the only unexplained thing is where Alan gets analogInputToDigitalPin from and is it the same as the one I cobbled together?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 01, 2013 05:02PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So the only unexplained thing is where Alan gets
> analogInputToDigitalPin from and is it the same as
> the one I cobbled together?

Nothing very clever (I'm afraid), From memory - and I did this 6 months ago without keeping notes - I simply went through the steps detailed in the Think3DPrint3D blog post as linked to earlier. The steps describe using Arduino V0023 and specifying the board as a Sanguinololu with an ATMega 1284p. The definition of "analogInputToDigitalPin" is in one of the support files associated with this board.

I would not have done the above as blindly as it may appear though and would have compared the MELZI schematic and the Sanguinololu schematic beforehand to confirm that they were compatible. (Having used a MELZI and Sanguinololu before on a RRP Huxley).

Alan
October 02, 2013 04:17AM
Although it didn't say it was missing, downloading the LiquidTWI2.h and fixing the analogInputToDigitalPin error is what did it for me. After that it compiled without errors.
February 14, 2014 08:04AM
I have to run without LCD attached, I know it will get in a loop.
So please help me to change in marlin that I can run with and without LCD attached.
February 16, 2014 06:36AM
Check the configuration of the LiquidTWI2 library. There is a #define that permits checking for device presence and ignoring the panel if it is not found. That might be what you are looking for.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
February 16, 2014 01:35PM
@vikas: OK, I have looked into this a little and a small code change is required. Can you make the following changes and report back whether the Panelolu2 still works please? I have tried this without a Panelolu2 but with the LCD code enabled and Marlin does not hang for me.

In the Marlin file ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h locate the following code:
#elif defined(LCD_I2C_TYPE_MCP23017)
  //for the LED indicators (which maybe mapped to different things in lcd_implementation_update_indicators())
  #define LED_A 0x04 //100
  #define LED_B 0x02 //010
  #define LED_C 0x01 //001

#define LCD_HAS_STATUS_INDICATORS

#include 
  #include 
  #define LCD_CLASS LiquidTWI2
  LCD_CLASS lcd(LCD_I2C_ADDRESS);
and modify the last line to read as follows:
#elif defined(LCD_I2C_TYPE_MCP23017)
  //for the LED indicators (which maybe mapped to different things in lcd_implementation_update_indicators())
  #define LED_A 0x04 //100
  #define LED_B 0x02 //010
  #define LED_C 0x01 //001

#define LCD_HAS_STATUS_INDICATORS

#include 
  #include 
  #define LCD_CLASS LiquidTWI2
  #if defined(DETECT_DEVICE)
     LCD_CLASS lcd(LCD_I2C_ADDRESS, 1);
  #else
     LCD_CLASS lcd(LCD_I2C_ADDRESS);
  #endif
The effect of this modification is to tell LiquidTWI2 to ignore the LCD panel if it fails initialisation. The DETECT_DEVICE #define enables the code to handle this situation but Marlin was not activating it by passing the switch to LiquidTWI2's class constructor.

NOTES:
1) I use my own version of Marlin (which is current with Nophead's Mendel90 changes) and LiquidTWI2-master from GitHub. Please verify that this modification functions correctly with whatever versions you have.
2) You may ask why I did not simply change LCD_CLASS lcd(LCD_I2C_ADDRESS); to LCD_CLASS lcd(LCD_I2C_ADDRESS, 1);. The answer is that my modification respects the defined state of DETECT_DEVICE.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2014 02:09PM by neildarlow.

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
February 18, 2014 03:03AM
Hi, some times it is not easy to follow the technical details as a non native speaker.
But, I got it. I have my Mendel90 Dibond with the Melzi running together with the Panelolu2! smiling bouncing smiley

I used the Infos from Alzibiff and Nophead.

Thank you Alan and Chris.

Kind regards,
Johannes
February 20, 2014 12:05AM
Thank you so much Neil Darlow.
It works proper.
February 20, 2014 01:33PM
vikas
Thank you so much Neil Darlow.
It works proper.

I have found two possibilities for hangs within the LiquidTWI2 library. One, the display Home function, I do not think is relevant but the other, the buzz function, might explain a hang at print completion. These have been reported as issues at GitHub (#8 and #9) which should be closed soon. It would be advisable to use the version with those fixes.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

February 27, 2014 04:21PM
I would like to do standalone printing..
What the best way? Panelolu2 or a Pie with Octoprint?
Can i run both options, and does it give me any benefits rarther than only one of them?
February 27, 2014 06:31PM
Panelolu2 lets you control the machine while at the machine. Octoprint lets you control it via the internet and watch it on a webcam.

Yes you can connect both at the same time. Not sure of any benefit doing that other than you can control it from the machine and the internet.

I prefer Octoprint as you can load files onto a PI and get trouble free printing without using the SD card.

You can print stand alone without either simply by naming your gcode auto0.g on the SD card. It will run when you insert the card and press the reset button.

February 28, 2014 04:24AM
nophead
I prefer Octoprint as you can load files onto a PI and get trouble free printing without using the SD card.

This is an interesting statement. I've never had any communications problems when printing via USB, but my workflow preference is to copy the gcode files onto an SD and set the machine printing via my Panelolu2 so I haven't used my USB anywhere near as much as others.

I also have the Pi setup with Octoprint (OctoPi distribution) but I've always been wary of the fact that this essentially prints via the USB. Is this just as reliable as printing from SD, or are there still scenarios where the USB won't be able to keep up? Are you using the OctoPi mode where it uploads everything to the SD via USB *before* starting the print? I've only tried that once and it took ages - not so useful since I still haven't gotten round to automating my bed blanket! grinning smiley
February 28, 2014 06:16AM
USB is electrically reliable for me when run from a laptop next to the machine. However, if I do a lot on the laptop Windows may pause occasionally. When using a PI it is grounded locally to the Melzi and then connected to the PC via ethernet. Ethernet is isolated by transformers in the sockets, so there are no ground loop issues. I don't run anything else on the PI, so it doesn't pause. I no longer need the laptop as I have a desktop machine the other side of the room.

If I am only printing something once or twice I just run it from the PI. If I am going to print a lot of the same thing I put it on the SD card. I find USB fast enough for anything geometrical. I only have a problem with organic things like yoda, where there are lots of very short line segments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2014 06:16AM by nophead.

February 28, 2014 10:12AM
Is it possible to send g-code file the the raspberry pi. But run it from the Panelolu2?
I like the option that i dont need to remove the sd-card, but i would also like to speed up and slow down prints with the Panelolu2.
February 28, 2014 10:21AM
Salocin
Is it possible to send g-code file the the raspberry pi. But run it from the Panelolu2?

GCode moves from the Pi to the MELZI over the USB cable which connects the two of them. When you run a file from the Panelolu2, it runs from the SD card - effectively as the onboard MELZI SD Card.

Salocin
I like the option that i dont need to remove the sd-card, but i would also like to speed up and slow down prints with the Panelolu2.

Whether the file is moving from the Pi to the MELZI or from the SD card via the Panelolu ribbon cable, you can still control the speed, temperature and so on from the Panelolu2.

Alan
June 16, 2014 04:29PM
I've some problems to connect my p2 to my mendel90.
Can someone maybe send his working marlin firmware to me?
June 16, 2014 05:10PM
Neil Darlow maintains a bleeding edge version of Marlin configured for Mendel90 that supports the Panelolu2: [github.com]

June 17, 2014 12:29AM
is this marlin ready to use?
because i've uploaded it but my P2 does nothing
June 17, 2014 02:51AM
I run my firmware on a standard Mendel90 using Melzi electronics and T3P3 has tested it on Sanguino. If it builds and downloads to your hardware without errors then you should only need to set Z_HEIGHT_MM and E_STEPS_PER_MM (both at the top of Configuration.h) then it should work.

You must, of course, use the supplied Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h files and not substitute earlier ones from e.g. nophead's firmware. I test each update on my machine before pushing to GitHub. Please make sure you use the included LiquidTWI2 library which includes a few fixes necessary to handle a disconnected Panelolu2 (these fixes are in LiquidTWI2 version 1.2.6 which is in my version).

Regards,
Neil Darlow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2014 03:08AM by neildarlow.

June 17, 2014 04:22AM
Worked out of the box for me with a P2.

June 17, 2014 06:35AM
how can i do this?
Please make sure you use the included LiquidTWI2 library which includes a few fixes necessary to handle a disconnected Panelolu2 (these fixes are in LiquidTWI2 version 1.2.6 which is in my version).
June 17, 2014 07:36AM
@nophead: Thank you. That was nice of you to take the time to try it!

@3Design: Once you have downloaded and unzipped the sources from Github, copy the Marlin/ArduinoAddons/Arduino_1.x.x/libraries/LiquidTWI2 folder to your My Documents/Arduino/libraries folder.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

June 17, 2014 09:45AM
I've done this but my P2 is still not working
Need i use arduino 0023?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2014 09:46AM by 3Design.
June 17, 2014 10:52AM
No 1.0x should work. If you don't get any errors during compilation and download then it should be OK.

Does the start up message show today's date? E.g. Last Updated: Jun 5 2014 15:10:24 | Author: ErikZalm+nophead+neildarlow

June 17, 2014 11:22AM
in pronterface the startup message shows today's date
but i can't control the printer in pronterface

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2014 11:23AM by 3Design.
June 17, 2014 11:26AM
the problem is solved, the P2 works now.
i had connect the cable wrong to the screen
June 19, 2014 02:27AM
At moment i'm trying to control a post print fan to cool down the print bed after printing with the P2 but i can't install a 12 V output.
Can someone explain me how i can control a fan with the P2
June 19, 2014 04:00AM
3Design
At moment i'm trying to control a post print fan to cool down the print bed after printing with the P2 but i can't install a 12 V output.
Can someone explain me how i can control a fan with the P2

What do you mean by "install a 12V output"? There are two KK Molex headers on the P2/Melzi adapter which map to IO pins P27 and P28. You can use these to switch a 12V fan (or LEDs) in gcode by the M42 commands.

To set the P28 output "high" (on) use
M42 S255 P28

and to set the P28 output "low" (off) use
M42 S0 P28
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login