Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X axis assembly leveling

Posted by rdomunky 
X axis assembly leveling
June 08, 2015 11:33AM
Hi all

New Mendel90 user here. So far I'm extremely impressed with the quality of the kit and its documentation. I was able to assemble everything and integrate a North American ATX power supply and got very nice print quality from the included pre-sliced Android robot.

One thing that I'm wondering about is the process for leveling not the bed itself, but the X axis assembly. I understand that it rides up and down the two Z axis threaded rods by sitting on a brass nut on either side. However I can't find any mention in the documentation about how to ensure that those brass nuts are each at the same height, which seems essential for keeping the X axis assembly level. Of course I did my best to measure and match their heights (offset from the couplings at the bottom) but since the whole leveling process is a question of fractions of millimeters this seems inadequate.

Is it just assumed that you get the X axis assembly as level as possible, and then level the bed with respect to the nozzle to compensate? Is there a better way? Did I miss something in the docs?

Thanks in advance for replies, and really looking forward to working with this machine.

- rdo
Re: X axis assembly leveling
June 09, 2015 12:55PM
Hi,

The bed is adjusted to align parallel to the X-axis. This is why it is not actually a levelling process. The build instructions should get you somewhere near level when you assemble the X-axis onto the Z-screws.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
June 10, 2015 03:09AM
In the manual's section about bed levelling it is mentioned how to do this. You twist the Z threaded rods individually to level the X axis with respect to the bed. First turn off the motors, for instance by using pronterface. It is well explained in the manual, once you find it ;-) I had to go back and read some parts over and over--every detail has a meaning, it is quite condensed. But it's really nice actually!
June 10, 2015 11:45AM
Thanks Neil and dawa

I think I've got everything set up pretty close to level (X axis assembly w/ respect to the frame, and the bed with respect to the X and Y axes).

Agreed that the documentation is extremely comprehensive but every sentence counts! NOT a complaint by the way -- I'm reminding my students and coworkers to RTFM all the time :-)

- rdo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2015 11:47AM by rdomunky.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login