Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do I add images to posts?

Posted by mccoyn 
How do I add images to posts?
March 09, 2010 06:33PM
I was trying to add images to a post here. I used the img tag, but the images didn't show up when I previewed the page or after I posted it. I ended up putting a link to the image, but people will have to click on it and it won't be so easy to follow the post with the image on another page.

Darwin clone, Gen 2 electronics, Arduino Duemilanove w/ AtMega328, 5D Firmware, Pinchwheel extruder
[www.codeerrors.com]
Re: How do I add images to posts?
March 10, 2010 07:22AM
First, remember that you can create a wiki page for your project, and that's even better, as you can point to the wiki page. smiling smiley

I'll dig up the note on how to actually add images this evening.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
March 10, 2010 11:48AM
try using the [ img ] tag (remove the spaces) e.g.

----
[www.binaryconstruct.com]
March 10, 2010 03:29PM
The [ img ] tags didn't work. I tried with another image I saw someone successfully included and it worked. Maybe there is some restriction on image size I am not aware of.

Darwin clone, Gen 2 electronics, Arduino Duemilanove w/ AtMega328, 5D Firmware, Pinchwheel extruder
[www.codeerrors.com]
March 10, 2010 04:39PM
You used to be able to upload an image and display it inline with the text but I don't seem that option any more.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 23, 2010 08:56AM
So how does one add images to posts now?

June 05, 2010 01:52AM
I'm not sure that you can upload images to the forum system.

You can, however, upload the images to some web server somewhere, and then put the URL to it between the img tags. So for example:
[ img]http://crosswire.org/~jmarsden/jonathan-avatar.jpg[/img]
(with no spaces in the tags!) produces

Jonathan
June 05, 2010 03:24AM
I think installing these phorum modules would allow us to use the forum to host inline image attachments.

[www.phorum.org]
[www.phorum.org]

Jonathan, what do you think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2010 03:40AM by SebastienBailard.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
June 05, 2010 04:59AM
I add inline images but in a very round about way: -

I upload the image as a file attachment. I then have to publish the post to get the url as preview does not use the final url. I can then edit the post and paste the URL into it with IMG tags. With the old forum I could just tick a box to show an image inline.

June 05, 2010 10:39PM
Those extensions look like they should work. I'd prefer people used the forums for short term epemeral, and put more complex documents (including those containing images) on the wiki. But that's personal preference. If the modules are easy to install, I'll install them smiling smiley

Jonathan
June 06, 2010 12:38AM
I'd prefer people used the forums for short term epemeral, and put more complex documents (including those containing images) on the wiki.

I agree completely. Eventually we'll build "big friendly upload button" technology and social networking into the wiki. Until then, people will use whatever is handy, but will favor spaces which give feedback and have visibility built in.

After then, people will still use whatever is handy, but they'll use the wiki a little more.

(I still need to learn php.) eye rolling smiley

June 06, 2010 01:06AM
I tried adding those modules... testing...

OK, the first one works fine.

Jonathan
June 06, 2010 01:11AM
But the second one seems to break things... hmm. More testing needed.

Jonathan
June 06, 2010 01:21AM
I'm leaving the embedded_images module mostly disabled for now. It seems to cause the embedded links you can create using the embedded_attachments module to "disappear", instead of displaying them inline... not exactly desired behaviour.

Jonathan
June 06, 2010 04:49AM
Your first example of an external image has stopped working as well:

convert: unable to open image `--': Permission denied @ blob.c/OpenBlob/2481.

June 06, 2010 11:55PM
Thanks. OK, the embedded_images module is now turned off completely, until someone has the time to figure out why it is breaking.

Jonathan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login