Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Direct links on entry pages

Posted by Traumflug 
Direct links on entry pages
September 18, 2010 06:01AM
Is it correct for the Circuit board construction Wiki page to contain direct links to the MakerBot store, but not to all the other sellers? That doesn't match well with RepRap's "community" mindset, IMHO. All the sub-pages contain a more complete list of vendors, which is the better approach.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Re: Direct links on entry pages
September 18, 2010 07:58AM
link away, I'd say.

I think the general guidelines for wikis is "just do it", because changes are easy to roll back.

--
My blog's Reprap feed: [blog.markbova.com]
I'm currently working on a stock Mendel build with a Seeeduino Mega and four Pololu A4983 stepper controllers.
September 18, 2010 04:47PM
Is it correct for the Circuit board construction Wiki page to contain direct links to the MakerBot store, but not to all the other sellers? That doesn't match well with RepRap's "community" mindset, IMHO. All the sub-pages contain a more complete list of vendors, which is the better approach.

Markus, RepRap has been wrestling with this stuff practically since its inception, and we still don't have a well defined definition of what constitutes inappropriate use of non-commercial resources and what doesn't. sad smiley

I agree with you that those links constitute favoritism towards one particular entrepreneur (who does not maintain their wiki pages); you are very welcome to replace them with links to a dedicated list-of-vendors page.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
September 19, 2010 05:38AM

you are very welcome to replace them with links to a dedicated list-of-vendors page.

I would like to do so, but I can't. It's one of the locked pages.

A list of vendors is already in place on the (editable) page of each electronics circuit. For example: [reprap.org]

September 19, 2010 07:01AM
Traumflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would like to do so, but I can't. It's one of
> the locked pages.

For me there is a notice that only registered users can edit it. So I think that after you created an account on the wiki you should be able to edit it.

my blog: [reprap.tman.be]
September 19, 2010 10:13AM
Thanks for the hint, tman. I have an account already and I've done a number of edits on other pages. On the page in question one can read:

There are security restrictions on this article

* edit is restricted to the autoconfirmed group (set from the protect tab)
* move is restricted to the autoconfirmed group (set from the protect tab)

September 21, 2010 05:44AM
These direct links are still there. Is it not important enough to get this fixed? Did I step on somebodies toes?

September 21, 2010 07:37AM
I logged in, still got the message, but was able to edit anyway. Give it a stab.
September 21, 2010 12:00PM
Done. There were no edit button in the usual place, because there is no header used in this page. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login