Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stylesheet for the top level?

Posted by jgilmore 
Stylesheet for the top level?
December 23, 2010 12:46AM
Is broken?

It's been a couple days, is somebody working on this? I'd have expected an announcement if there was known problem, scheduled maintenance, or something of that ilk.

Or maybe those with the power to work on it are using custom stylesheets and haven't seen it?

I don't know. Maybe it's my browser?

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
Re: Stylesheet for the top level?
December 23, 2010 05:23PM
What's wrong with it? Everything seems fine to me.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
December 23, 2010 05:43PM
Do you mean the top level of the forum?

Yes, it's that stupid white one, which I really wish someone would change to the green (emerald) one. That way, the site would be consistent.

That said, I see no real problem with it.

BTW: Something that affects style sheets with the forum: The "ignore forum" module, which I've still not seen appear despite numerous requests by myself and other people.
December 24, 2010 07:28PM
I mean that for me there is no stylesheet. There is no color, everything is black-on-white, and there is no formatting, everything is the same font, no bold, italics, or size variations.

One of the forums shows up that way too, and some of the threads. It's REALLY, REALLY, annoying. Makes it hard to see what's new, and hard to see what's part of which message.

--
December 24, 2010 09:05PM
I mean that for me there is no stylesheet. There is no color, everything is black-on-white, and there is no formatting, everything is the same font, no bold, italics, or size variations.

I need to get to that. It's not clear how from phorums documentation; I need to start a query in their forum or ping them in irc.

Email - forum gateway is a higher priority.

One of the forums shows up that way too, and some of the threads. It's REALLY, REALLY, annoying. Makes it hard to see what's new, and hard to see what's part of which message.

Which one? That's a 2-minute fix.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
December 25, 2010 05:15AM
From where I am looking the top level forum page does have a simple style sheet, and it has bold, blue and red text. It is all the same font, but is just as easy to read as the emerald pages. It also uses the full width of the browser, which I prefer.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 25, 2010 07:33AM
Sebastien: I'm happy to give you pre-edited CSS that fixes a few forum things, which should be just a matter of copying into the right place. I can also add in the code for using the Ignore module if required.

nophead: I'm using a simple greasemonkey script that modifies the width of the emerald theme so that it uses the full width of the browser. I'd prefer to not use that script and have that embedded into the main theme's CSS.

jgilmore: You might try purging your browsers cache. It's possible that your browser tried to fetch the CSS and got back a blank file for whatever reason, or the cached copy got blanked (file corruption). The browser may not update the cached copy as the file/date stamps match.
December 25, 2010 02:56PM
Cefiar: Clearing the cache worked. Thank you, that's been bugging me for weeks!

The sub-forums and message lists that where showing up without CSS must have already been refreshed, as I don't see them anymore. It probably all happened when I was stuck in Arizona waiting for my car to be fixed, and forced to use crappy hotel/coffee shop connections.

--
December 25, 2010 09:08PM
jgilmore: That'd do it. A lot of hotels with sign-on systems return blank or redirection pages when you hit a URL without first logging in, rather than an HTTP error. If that page happens to be a CSS page, you can get garbage stuck in your cache.

Most likely the forums that this happened on were the ones that had the old white theme, as the CSS is different for those pages (compared to those with the emerald theme).

I'm going to grab a copy of the Emerald CSS, edit it and see if I can get some useful changes in there (eg: larger page width).
December 27, 2010 10:10AM
And maybe add the "ignore forum" feature?

--
December 27, 2010 07:25PM
jgilmore: I can add in the calls (links that call the relevant function) in the CSS, but the module needs to be loaded on the host as well.
December 28, 2010 03:23AM
Ok...

1. To change the top-level template, go into the Phorum admin page, and in the left box marked Forum Settings there is a Default Settings link. On that page, change the Template setting in the Display Settings section to Phorum Emerald Template 1.0. Note that the current template used on the main page is Classic Phorum Template 0.4.

2. To change the max width of the theme, you need to edit the theme template using a text editor. Go to the templates/emerald directory in your phorum install (eg: cd /var/www/templates/emerald) and open settings.tpl with a text editor. Look for the following section:

{! -- The maximum width of the Phorum content (the div with id "phorum")  -- }
{VAR max_width "900px"}  {! -- CSS size values allowed. No effect in MSIE 6 }
{VAR max_width_ie "900"} {! -- px width values allowed. Sets max MSIE 6 width }

Edit this to:

{! -- The maximum width of the Phorum content (the div with id "phorum")  -- }
{VAR max_width "none"}  {! -- CSS size values allowed. No effect in MSIE 6 }
{VAR max_width_ie "900"} {! -- px width values allowed. Sets max MSIE 6 width }

Notes:
I wouldn't worry about editing the value for IE6. Anyone still using IE6 deserves to be limited to 900px wide.
If you don't like the idea of setting no limit, you could set it to a much higher number of pixels (eg: 1900px). Note that 1920 pixel wide displays are now widely available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2010 03:27AM by Cefiar.
December 28, 2010 03:57AM
Just an additional note that I've tested the ignore-forum module locally and it works. Once it's installed and enabled, you need to edit the site template to show the ignore forum button, otherwise it just won't work.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for theme alterations they'd like to see? I'm happy to do the background work.
December 28, 2010 01:55PM
I believe that the ignore module is already loaded, it's just a matter of editing the site template. At least, that's the conclusion that I think was reached last time I mentioned it.

That conclusion was based on the fact that unless you've clicked on a forum, unread messages don't show up. But once you've clicked on it, there is no way to restore the previous state.

The topic came up because I accidentally clicked on the forum for the java host software. I dislike java, and will never use this software, therefore I have no interest in discussion about problems with it - as far as I'm concerned, the solution is always "use something that actually works, maybe?" which isn't helpful.

--
December 28, 2010 04:18PM
jgilmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe that the ignore module is already
> loaded, it's just a matter of editing the site
> template. At least, that's the conclusion that I
> think was reached last time I mentioned it.

I'll see if I can make it work then. To test this with the live forum, I can use the Firefox "Web Developer" plugin to edit the CSS on a page (which I'll either redirect to my local test Phorum install or copy from it).

If it works, I'll post the template changes here. If it doesn't, it's not worth it as the template changes will break things, and confuse any other template changes that may need to be made.

> That conclusion was based on the fact that unless
> you've clicked on a forum, unread messages don't
> show up. But once you've clicked on it, there is
> no way to restore the previous state.

That's the default no matter whether the module is installed or not.

Why this isn't default functionality in Phorum - you'd have to ask the authors.

FWIW: Once you install the module, you actually have to enable it before you can use it.
December 28, 2010 04:35PM
Ok, firstly, you can't seem to test if the ignore module is there by swapping the CSS, as the ignore code isn't in the CSS, it's on the page. Silly me.

Secondly, I tested it another way and the ignore-forum module isn't loaded, or isn't enabled.
January 06, 2011 01:00AM
*bump*

Any movement on this?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login