Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

why the chaos?

Posted by colourz 
why the chaos?
June 13, 2011 03:27PM
Hello everyone,
As I can understand and very much appreciate the hard work you people are doing,what I dont understand is why there is not a single perfect working set of cartesian bot with electronics and all the required software/firmware?
How can people like me make a reprap without getting stuck at somewhere?
I understand it is imperative to develop newer versions for the sake of advancement but should'nt atleast some people work on a stable set of electronics/software/firmware,before jumping to newer versions?
I see that when not even one firmware/electronics variant is completely"out of the box"ready,there comes another variant just to add to the confusion.as it may be very normal to the pros,what a newbee like me would choose?
what I want to say is there should atleast one set of printer which will work without much tweaking and software debugging.(like arduino022 has some issues with windows etc.)
please try to understand me if I am not expressing myself clearly.
thank you.
Re: why the chaos?
June 13, 2011 04:04PM
If you want out of the box working you could spend the money and buy a UP. But the fact is these are self replicating prototyping machines and the people building them should have a lot of interest in building stuff. So why would someone interested in developing new stuff all the time want a stale set of electronics / firmware .

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 13, 2011 11:51PM
I am sorry.I thought that reprap is all about helping people make their own 3d printer which otherwise would be the stuff for geniuses.yes you are right ,why would any smart fellow stay with the old set of stuff once he got the whiff of doing things?(albiet may be its from the help of reprap people )
June 14, 2011 12:22AM
That's why the forums are here so we can help. It is very important to post one question at a time in the right section and you will most likely get an answer very fast. If the message is long and asks a lot some people will skip over it.

Once the electronics, firmware and hostware reach a state of hard to improve on you will start to see it become more out of the box working. But as with the commercial machine out there that are user friendly they have taken twenty years and hundreds of thousands of hours of research and development which is what each and every reprapper is doing.

So stick with it and you will be very happy with your machine.

I should add that reprap is advancing faster than the commercial machines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2011 12:23AM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 14, 2011 03:44AM

I thought that reprap is all about helping people make their own 3d printer which otherwise would be the stuff for geniuses.

That, but it's also open source. Open source means, you can't demand anything from anybody. That's why 9 out of 10 enhancements or fixes never get contributed, because those people loose interest as soon as their own printer works.

Open source also means, the idea which approach is the best vastly differs from person to person, and the project has to deal with all of them. Best seen in the electronics area, where quite some people prefer so re-design all the electronics just to drop some plugs in favour of screw terminals, for example. Some people think a small double sided board ist the only meaningful target, others take single sided as priority #1, a third group is happy with four layers. This list can be extended easily.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 14, 2011 08:35AM
yes you are absolutely right on that Markus.
May be I didnt think in right levels.got carried away by the frustration of not being able to make my electronics work whereas the things are so simple for others.sorry to bother you people by wasting your time answering me when you could have been helping some sorry a** like me.
anyways thanx
RAJ
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login