Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Silly build error responsible for poor print quality

Posted by Squags 
Silly build error responsible for poor print quality
January 11, 2014 11:54AM
Hello all,
While publicising my foolishness isn't my favourite pass time; here's one that others might be able to learn from; should they have the misfortune to be such a numpty as I...

Last week, while waiting for a replacement DUET board, I read the thread on the forum about curvy X axis arms. Looking down mine, I noticed it too was unpleasantly askew, so decided to use the free evening to take it apart. I spent quite a while calling home on skype while filling out the laser cut pieces until they really fitted together without so much as a squeek. After that, I reassembled my extruder drive and started putting the X arm back together before being called away to the trouble & strife... Just as I was leaving, i heard a small 9 or 10mm bearing fall onto my workbench, but didn't have time to work out where it had come from, or whether it was a left-over spare from the kit.

I then totally forgot about this bearing until yesterday... My first calibration print turned out a treat and my second print was a 12 hour marathon part I'd been hoping to make for ages... That's when things started to go wrong - the base of the part was circular, but try as I might adjusting settings, I couldn't get the filament to stick to the bed for the first layer, so I finally resorted to redesigning the part with a square base. This went perfectly, but as soon as it got to circular bits higher up the print quality was shocking...

To cut an unnecessarily long story a little shorter, during the print, I realised the problem was the extrusion and that the mechanism wasn't probably gripping the filament... This - you've guessed it - was due to the hidden bearing (in one corner of the extruder motor) having fallen out, given nothing for the extruder to push against... What can I say - silly me! Plus, now it's back in, I'm over the moon with the new print quality!
Re: Silly build error responsible for poor print quality
January 12, 2014 03:25AM
Hi Squads

Amazing that you spotted the problem, that bearing is extremely well hidden, but such a vital part. Great that your print quality is going well, it's so satisfying when the finished part comes out smooth, perfectly aligned and blob/string free.

Personally I think there should be more success stories on this forum, shame most only come here to report problems.

Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2014 03:25AM by iamburny.

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
January 12, 2014 04:31AM
iamburny
Personally I think there should be more success stories on this forum, shame most only come here to report problems.

No! I like the problems! tongue sticking out smiley

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 12, 2014 04:50AM
Actually, I thought I'd better qualify that...

If you look through the rest of the reprap forum, you'll see the general tone is 'the middle ground'. Which is to say, that there are frustrated people, who can't get some part of their printer working, looking for answers, along with positive threads, random development, people musing; the whole spectrum, really. Often with kits, and people constructing their own repraps, information can be sparse, or rather difficult to find. As a commercial company, RepRapPro has a responsibility to provide support, so we're working hard at support this community. On most of the support emails I send, I put a link to the forum - I'm not worried about the negative comments, because people can decide for themselves, on balance. I think we've been particularly fortunate selling through RS; the people who have suddenly got involved in reprap are developer/hacker/tinkerer types, who may point out the Ormerod's short comings, but are happy to fix it too!

Ultimately, as the documentation improves, and hardware/firmware/software becomes more stable, the problems become fewer, more positive and experimental threads should appear. I'm thrilled by how involved people are in this forum. Perhaps because it's a 'walled garden', and every one's experience is quite similar, rather than the often confusing messages of the 'general population' of the reprap forums.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login