Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

duet-enclosure too small

Posted by [email protected] 
duet-enclosure too small
January 21, 2014 04:31AM
Could it be possible my duet-enclosure is too small?
When the two 8mm buttonhead scews are used to attach the front panel (with the logo on) the panel ends up bending outwards by about 2mm in the centre.

It was EXTREMELY difficult to slide the back panel into place. again the panel is bending outwards away from the duet-enclosure.
The sides of the groove which hold the duet-enclosure lid in place look like they are under some serious tension bowing outwards.

Really isn't a nice fit, I understand some parts may need a little trimming but in total it looks like either both the laser cut enclosures are 3mm too long or the duet-enclosure is 3mm too short.

Image attached.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Attachments:
open | download - small duet-enclosure.jpg (445.6 KB)
Re: duet-enclosure too small
January 21, 2014 04:41AM
Hi Richard

I was just getting to your email... Also, your username is your email name, so I suggest changing it, unless you *like* spam!

Yes, it does look very tight. Not sure why that is, possibly the printer that printed it had a problem. We can replace it, if you'd like. Did you have any problems with other parts?
Not that it makes too much difference, but the top two screws usually have the head on the inside.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 21, 2014 04:51AM
Hi,

I also have the same problem, I received my Ormerod on Friday from RS.
I've finished the assembly and all the other parts appear to be fine.
January 21, 2014 04:58AM
I havn't had any other problems so far, as far as I know. Nothing that couldn't be sorted with a little tweaking.

Yes if you could send another part that would be great!
(dont know if it's just a conincidence but I also recieved my Ormerod from RS only a couple of days ago)

MANY thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2014 07:36AM by richard.sloan@outlook.com.
January 21, 2014 03:01PM
I've not got around to even trying to fit the lid yet spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
January 21, 2014 03:24PM
@KevM: Please send me an email, with your name, address, and RS order number, and we'll send you a new one: support at reprappro dot com

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2014 03:25PM by droftarts.
January 21, 2014 04:05PM
eye rolling smiley I hate to say it but I have the same problem with enclosure (Received my kit 16th Jan from RS...).
I've had to gaffer tape my other cover with the spool on on......
(Reminds me of a song....)
LoL I was going to suggest a fix to this..... Reverse the top two screws like Richards done, but have longer screws to reach
through to the other cover.... Use nuts to hold the PCB in place inside the box.
A couple of nuts on the outside (wing nuts even as you might want to get in there easily), then no worries about the back with the spool falling off.
(Well that's my fix.... Will give it a bash next week when I get home)

Kim
January 21, 2014 04:41PM
It is, of course, entirely possible to print your own replacement, as it isn't vital to actual printing, using: [github.com]
Though it wouldn't be green, assuming you're using the white filament we send out, it would be a good test, and your Ormerod would be unique (until someone else did it too!)
Internet points for the first person to print one, fit it, and post in this thread. And let me know if you still need a replacement...

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 21, 2014 05:02PM
I do plan on doing just that, with a few alterations.

Just as soon as I figure out how to actually print winking smiley
January 21, 2014 05:04PM
Hmmmm, when I looked my wing nut idea wouldnt work because the spool is in the way. But counter sunk screws and pillars will.
January 22, 2014 10:20AM
I think most people will be buying larger spools from far less expensive sources, so the spool holder is going to become redundant PDQ (it won't support a large reel). One of my first printing jobs was a separate spool holder!

Dave
(#106)
January 22, 2014 11:19AM
dmould
I think most people will be buying larger spools from far less expensive sources, so the spool holder is going to become redundant PDQ (it won't support a large reel). One of my first printing jobs was a separate spool holder!

Would you care to share your design? It might look neater than the cat food box and piece of dowel that I am using!

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 22, 2014 02:17PM
dc42
Would you care to share your design? It might look neater than the cat food box and piece of dowel that I am using!

Unfortunately I didn't keep those files when I changed my PC - it was not my design, I downloaded it from thingyverse. It's not very good - needs to be weighted down (see photo) and used a huge amount of plastic. There were a few different designs I saw on there.

I designed a spool holder for the small RS spools - attached STLs. Just plug the rod (which holds the spool) into the foot.

Dave
(#106)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2014 02:23PM by dmould.
Attachments:
open | download - SpoolHolder.jpg (137.5 KB)
open | download - Spool1.stl (43.9 KB)
open | download - Spool2.stl (10.4 KB)
January 22, 2014 02:35PM
I made a couple of "A-frames" ->>> [tinkercad.com] not pretty just knocked them up quickly.

My goal though is to utilize the planetary bearing model [www.thingiverse.com] to create a roller type spool holder like the ones RRP use in their production facility [www.reprappro.com]

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
January 22, 2014 07:25PM
iamburny
... create a roller type spool holder like the ones RRP use in their production facility [www.reprappro.com]

We use one design pretty much exclusively now, for those large 2kg spools (each one produces 8 Ormerods, by the way!). It's just a flat piece of laser cut 6mm MDF, with 4 bearings and two smooth rods to act as axles. The bearings sit in slots, and it has a central cut out so the spool sits down in it. There is just the perfect amount of pressure, so that the extruder can pull it, but it doesn't continue to rotate, it works when pulled horizontally or vertically, and whether the spool is full or just about finished. You can just see one in the above picture, on the lower shelf of the end red bench. If anyone is interested, I'll post a better picture.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
January 23, 2014 05:46AM
This is my solution for spool holder as I didn't like it on the Duet enclosure as well as not big enough for larger spools.

Fabricated out of 22mm overflow pipe, 6 90 elbows and 2 tees. Top two elbows are cut to form a drop in axle 'shelf. I sized it to take widest / biggest diameter spools I have got so far and have a couple of tube axles for different diameter spools. Took me about 30 minutes to cut and push together.
Attachments:
open | download - 2014-01-23 10.30.07.jpg (81.7 KB)
January 23, 2014 06:15AM
@Ian Yes i'd be very interested in some clearer closer pictures, no point re-inventing the wheel! I expect i can scale it down to fit the 1kg reels that I usually use.

Matt

Limited Edition Red RS Ormerod 1 #144 of 200 - RRP 1.09fw
iamburnys Ormerod Upgrades Github
Follow me on ThingiVerse My Designs
January 23, 2014 06:32AM
An alternative spool holder.

Wire coat hangers are much underrated IMHO.

Mark

Ormerod #350
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login