Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Power supply

Posted by 5dala 
Power supply
February 01, 2014 05:28PM
Anyone else having problems with failing power supply?

My ormerod was supplied with an Ace 550w psu, but it seems to be borderline as it has shut down several times.
I am no expert in electronics but it is quite clear that the hot end fan slows down a bit every time the bed heater is activated, (normal?)
All the wires are checked, the bed works fine, it heats up to the correct temp and stays stable, so i am clueless.

Is the only option to upgrade?

/J
Re: Power supply
February 01, 2014 06:12PM
There have been a few reports of the power supply shutting down, and RRP were investigating. Ask RRP for a replacement under warranty. With any luck they will send you an Alpine (the other brand they have been supplying), which has a higher current rating on the 12V supply.

It is normal for the fan to slow down a little when the bed heater comes on. I am currently using a Corsair CX430M instead of the Alpine that came with my kit, and the fan slowdown is much less, barely noticeable.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 01, 2014 06:31PM
Ok thanks, as i suspected then :/

I'll try contacting support and see wehe to go from there

Til then i will try some other atx i have lying around the house, had a look and to me the RRP one seems to be all standard, right?

Tanks
/J

(To RRP: For future customer kits, ditch the cheap psu for one that can do the job, it may increase salesprice slightly, but totally worth it to avoid these kinds of complaints + sending stuff back and forth)
February 01, 2014 07:03PM
Check the current rating of the 12V supply on your other ATX power supplies. You need a rating of at least 20A, and a higher rating (e.g. 32A for the Alpine and the Corsair) will hold the 12V supply up better under load.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login