Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Commissioning issues with USB

Posted by hubertpeters 
Commissioning issues with USB
February 04, 2014 05:18AM
I'm trying to get the commissioning working for almost a week now, but it's not working at all. I connected the Duet to my PC following the commissioning instructions. After installing the software, the device was not found in the device manager. I'm running Windows 7 x64, but also tested on XP. After pressing the reset button on the Duet board, my pc starts installing the drivers. The Arduino Duet is visible in the device manager, but after about 10 seconds it disappeares, without coming back. When pressing the reset button again, it is visible again for about 10 seconds. I also connected the ATX power supply with a jumper on JP9, when as soon as I switch on the supply, the Duet disappears immediately.

Can anybody advise/help me with this problem please?

Many thanks!
Re: Commissioning issues with USB
February 04, 2014 05:43AM
Can you confirm that in Device Manager, you are looking for the Duet under "Ports (COM & LPT)" and it appears (for the 10 seconds) as "Arduino Due (COM11)" or similar?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 04, 2014 05:50AM
It is available in the Device Manager under "POrts (COM & LPT) as Arduino Due (COM5). When it is available in the device manager, I'm not able to communicate at all via the Arduino 1.5.5-r2 software.
February 04, 2014 06:57AM
You will almost certainly want to update the firmware on the Duet board, so you could try pressing the Erase button and then the Reset button, then see if the programming port appears in Device Manager and stays there. From memory, I believe it shows as "Bossa port" or something like that. But it's a one-way process, because once you have pressed the Erase button, you have to upload new firmware before you can talk to the board using anything other than bossac.

There was an issue with device driver installation, because of an expired certificate, which is covered in another thread. But I'm guessing that if the port is showing up at all in Device Manager, then you don't have that issue.

btw before you go much further, check that all 4 grounding tabs of the USB socket are soldered on the Duet board.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

February 04, 2014 09:30AM
Thanks for so far. It looks like it is working, without the ATX power supply. I get a response from the board when inserting M105 in the serial monitor of the software. But as soon as I swich on the ATX power supply with a jumper on JP9, the connection in the device manager is lost. I've checked the wiring: the cable with the black stripe is inserted in both upper terminals.

When I'm continuing the commissioning with inserting M503 in the serial monitor to check the SD card settings, I don't get a reply at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2014 09:51AM by hubertpeters.
February 04, 2014 10:57AM
Do you have one of the original red Ormerod kits, or a green one? If it is a red one, what is its certificate number? The Duet boards shipped with early kits had a fault in the 5V regulator circuit.

You could try measuring the 5V supply on the expansion connector when the ATX PSU is turned on..

February 04, 2014 11:21AM
Hi hubertpeters

It sounds like a board short of some sort. If you email me on support at reprappro dot com, I'll organise a replacement Duet board is sent to you. If you could send the old one back to us, that would be great.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login