Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No signal to extruder motor and no ethernet

Posted by Sot 
Sot
No signal to extruder motor and no ethernet
February 09, 2014 07:25PM
Hey guys, i finally finished building my printer,

The major problem Im having at the moment is the extruder motor not responding to the extrude command.
All the axis' seem to be working correctly, the xyz homing is working, the heated nozzle is ok and so is the bed, i can even run a test print job (with no plastic being fed through of course).

I am definately sure its connected to the right pins as per the wiring diagram (its connected to the fourth group of pins down the bottom of the board starting with red on the first pin).
I have tested the extruder motor by pluging it to where the X motor goes and the motor is working fine the extruder pulls filament though as I move the X-axis.
I also noticed that my connector cable was wired differently to the rest of my motor connectors and to the one in the instruction images, the green and black were swapped so ive even tried swapping those around (polarity on those dont seem to make a difference though).

so now it seems either:

- the duet board might be faulty and the signals are not making it through the connector pins to the motor
- theres something wrong with the firmware (ive done all the commissioning and flashed with the latest firmware as of 9 feb 2014), I also tried an earlier version with no luck.
- or im missing something really simple smiling smiley

Has anyone else come across this issue?

My other issue is the networking, i spent afew hours trying to get this working till i gave up. I setup the ip address, mask and gateway values on the sd card but the ormerod just wont show up on the network, cant ping it, cant see it registered as a client on the router. The ethernet port on the ormerod is flashing its green little light and the led on the router also shows a connection, so not sure whats going on with that.

also how do you work out what the kit number you've got?

cheers.
Re: No signal to extruder motor and no ethernet
February 09, 2014 07:49PM
You could try swapping the x-axis and extruder connectors over on the Duet board, then see if x-axis commands move the extruder motor and vice versa. That will tell you whether the problem is in the cable or the Duet board.

Regarding the networking, one cause of this sort of problem is that the SD card is not being read at startup, so the IP address is not being set. If you are using the SD card supplied with the kit, ditch it and get a better one, unless you have one of the very recent kits supplied with a Kingston Memory SDHC card.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sot
February 09, 2014 08:29PM
You could try swapping the x-axis and extruder connectors over on the Duet board, then see if x-axis commands move the extruder motor and vice versa. That will tell you whether the problem is in the cable or the Duet board.

unfortunately I have tried this and the motor and cable is working correctly when plugged into the the x-axis using the x axis commands sad smiley

Ill give another sd card a go for the networking tonight and see how that goes smiling smiley

I might try getting the source code and see if i can change the output pins for the E motor to a different set of pins to test if theres a fault on the duet board...
February 10, 2014 03:24AM
I think you've proved that the Duet board is at fault, as I'm not aware of any firmware versions that fail to implement extruder commands. I suggest you ask RRP for a replacement under warranty.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Sot
February 10, 2014 04:03AM
Yep im coming to the same conclusion as well, I've just did some more tests and none of the other motors seem to work on that port either... BUT! your suggestion to buy another SD card has fixed the network issue smiling smiley it now connects first go, thanks for that...

but either way ill have to wait another month or so before I'll get this working sad smiley

thanks for the help though, greatly appreciated.
Sot
February 10, 2014 05:34AM
Looks like i found my problem...

seems to be a bit of solder or something that was underneath between the pins on the extruder motor controller causing a short circuit there ...

February 10, 2014 05:57AM
Talk to Ian (droftarts on this forum). If you are into soldering and have some solder wick, then he may agree to you removing the solder yourself without voiding the warranty. Of course, if you are unlucky then the short may have damaged the chip and you will need a replacement board anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2014 05:58AM by dc42.

Sot
February 10, 2014 06:03AM
yeh exactly what i was thinking, ive just sent an email to support asking the same thing, if i can try removing it without voiding warranty, im guessing it cant do any more harm because that faded looking text on the chip isnt looking like a good sign. But if it works it may save me a month or two of waiting for the replacement smiling smiley

thanks
February 10, 2014 06:35AM
Why a month or two - where do you live?

February 10, 2014 06:54AM
Looks like the short is between the Rosc and Sleep pins. On the Duet, Rosc is tied to ground, and Sleep is connected to +3.3V through a 10K pullup resistor, with Reset connected to the same resistor. So the short will be holding the chip in reset and sleep mode, which should not do any damage and explains why it won't drive the stepper. So it's definitely worth trying to remove the solder bridge, with Ian's agreement. Best way is to use a fine-tipped soldering iron and solder wick.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2014 06:57AM by dc42.

Sot
February 10, 2014 08:39AM
Im in australia, there isnt much stock of anything here so my initial order took 6 weeks to get here, being out of stock and all i guess.. i was thinking by the time i send it back and get the next one back it would be a while smiling smiley

Ive tried cleaning it out but no success yet, Ive got most of it out but its nicely blobbed into the bottom edge of the chip, its alot smaller than it looks in the photo its very hard to tell.
February 10, 2014 11:19AM
Solder wick treated with no-clean flux will probably sort it out.

February 10, 2014 06:11PM
Sot

It's usually 8 working days for us to send a Duet to Australia. RS couldn't restock the Australian RS with many kits after xmax/New Year straight away, mostly because we couldn't produce kits fast enough...
I'm in touch with you now, I'll get one ordered for you.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sot
February 11, 2014 03:19AM
Hold the phone... i just tried your suggestion with the no-clean flux... and it seems to be working! hot smiley
February 11, 2014 04:10AM
I'm glad it worked for you. I find that solder wick is more effective if I wipe it with the no-clean flux pen first.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login