Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Steep Learning Curve

Posted by KimBrown 
Steep Learning Curve
February 17, 2014 08:56PM
There I was printing away, great stuff... After the third print I just couldn't get the first layer to stick...
I was cleaning the glass with acetone... Then Vinegar..... Nope wouldn't stick......
I leveled the bed again.... Burnt my fingers trying to check the HotHead as I was just getting a gooy mess on the
end...

Well I have a bald patch now....
Out of desperation I took the glass off, washed it with lots of Washing Up Liquid, air dried, then Vinegar just before printing....
PERFECT 1st Layer.... Clearly Acetone isn't taking all the grease off, or maybe as the beds still a little warm it's just evaporating
before it can do the job..... If you have problems like I did, try Washing up liquid then give it a darn good rinse off.
Kim..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2014 09:17PM by KimBrown.
Re: Steep Learning Curve
February 17, 2014 09:14PM
Indeed Kim, if the bed's warm, the acetone is probably boiling off and leaving the grease behind as it goes (one slight advantage in using isopropanol is it boils at 85 as opposed to 56°C for acetone - though isopropanol still vaporises pretty damn fast in any case at 60). Good tip on cleaning with detergent,

Cheers

Ray
February 17, 2014 09:21PM
Hi Ray, yes I have some Amberclean down in my control room here onboard....
That's good stuff, but I can't use it here in my cabin.... Even the Air Con won't shift the fumes quick enough...
I'll be washing my glass with Fairy Liquid every time from now on....
Happy Days...
February 18, 2014 01:50AM
There's more.......

Removing the glass and washing it under cold water releases the print with no problem...
Using washing up liquid has solved my problems... After mounting I use the vinegar to
remove any water marks and its good to go... I'm back to making perfect prints again....

I'm also using RED float glass now as it lets the IR probe work allot more reliably with repeatable
readings coming from the probe. (Might be the best £12 I've spent there)

Kimhot smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login