Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y-Rib and Y-Cross Rib

Posted by Derrick_SA 
Y-Rib and Y-Cross Rib
March 27, 2014 05:04AM
Hi there, busy setting up my omrerod,

Just wanted to know, is there any reason why the Y-Rib and Y-Cross Rib cannot be metal? (Aluminium or mild steel probably). Also. the DXF files don't open in any of my CAD programs, Metallix, CREO Parametric, or RADAN. is it program specific?

I want to make a modification to make the bed leveling easier (and hopefully better, he he).

your response would be appreciated.

thanks,
Derrick

RE: OPENED THE DXF Files, the ones from github is no good, but the one from the ZIP file works great. now just need to know if it is a problem if it's metal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2014 05:09AM by Derrick_SA.
Re: Y-Rib and Y-Cross Rib
March 27, 2014 05:16AM
I see no reason not to be, I was considering adding these to my laser cut bed and x-arm kits.

They should be modified by lightening the parts by adding holes where strength is not needed IMHO.

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
March 27, 2014 05:24AM
Thanks Davek. I agree. the big thing is I have a fiber laser, so metal is what I can cut.

will try my plan, if it it works decent, I'll post it up in this post in the next day or two.

thanks,
Derrick
March 27, 2014 05:51AM
Derrick_SA

..Just wanted to know, is there any reason why the Y-Rib and Y-Cross Rib cannot be metal? (Aluminium or mild steel probably)...

It would imho make sense to move the y-axis-cross-rib to the other side of the bearings, up close to the aluminium extrusion

Erik
March 27, 2014 12:35PM
ormerod168
Derrick_SA

..Just wanted to know, is there any reason why the Y-Rib and Y-Cross Rib cannot be metal? (Aluminium or mild steel probably)...

It would imho make sense to move the y-axis-cross-rib to the other side of the bearings, up close to the aluminium extrusion

Erik

I disagree. Two issues with moving it to the other side: Firstly it would have to be shorter and end before the extrusion, leaving a longer section of the arm without longitudinal stiffening - right at the place it is subject to the greatest force. Secondly you would have to make the arm a lot wider (taller) so as to allow clearance for the extruder.

Dave
(#106)
March 27, 2014 02:47PM
Yes Dave that is correct it's good where it is. I am eager to get printing he he, so I'm just solving my bed level short term. I think a slight redesign could make it easier. BUT I WANNA PRINT ! he he he. patience is the hardest thing ...

- Derrick
March 28, 2014 07:14AM
Make sure when you download files from github that you download the 'Raw' version. For example, if you right click and download a file from this page: [github.com] you get an html file! Click on the link, so you get to this page: [github.com] then right-click 'Raw', then 'Save file as...' to get the proper file.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login