Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Part Number For 6 Pin Connector?

Posted by Pointy 
Part Number For 6 Pin Connector?
April 15, 2014 11:54AM
Hi Guys,

Anyone know the make/model of the 6 pin hotend connector or more specifically the part numbers of the pins?

Regards,

Les
Re: Part Number For 6 Pin Connector?
April 15, 2014 12:45PM
[shameless plug] Les, I can't help you with that part number, however if you use one of my Ormerod sensor boards kit 3 or above then you don't need it. smiling smiley My board uses Molex connectors for all the hot end connections, which are much more easily dismantled, and in my experience, more reliable. The connectors are soldered to be board rather than floating in mid air. See [forums.reprap.org] for prices and [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] for more details. [/shameless plug]

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 15, 2014 01:24PM
dc42
[shameless plug] Les, I can't help you with that part number, however if you use one of my Ormerod sensor boards kit 3 or above then you don't need it. smiling smiley My board uses Molex connectors for all the hot end connections, which are much more easily dismantled, and in my experience, more reliable. The connectors are soldered to be board rather than floating in mid air. See [forums.reprap.org] for prices and [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] for more details. [/shameless plug]

I would love to buy one of your kits, even if it was just to support you for all your hard work, but seeing as the standard IR sensor is working great for me, it's hard to justify the expense. My biggest problem with the standard sensor board IS the connection, but I think I might solder a flying molex lead onto it.

Regards,

Les
April 15, 2014 03:52PM
Hi Les, I can't help with the part number, but if it's just a case of it not making a connection, then just use a pin to squash in the socket connector a tiny bit and it should work.
I found my thermister wasn't reading at first. Tracked it down to the plug, and did that trick... It's been fine ever since.

I use the original probe. But I use Dark Red float glass which is 4mm thick, and it works quite well for me.

Kim..

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
April 15, 2014 04:38PM
Thanks Kim,

I want to do some rewiring, as the mess or wires at the hotend is bugging me at the moment and when I went to try and remove the existing fan pins, the wires just fell out. eye popping smiley I have my new fan wired up temporarily so it's not urgent.

I am actually thinking of merging the sensor and hotend into one loom. I just need to find suitable connectors.

Regards,

Les
April 15, 2014 05:52PM
Hi Pointy

We get all of the connectors from Toby Electronics:
2x3 Male crimp housing - 3025-06 - [www.toby.co.uk]
2x3 Female crimp housing - 3020-06 - [www.toby.co.uk]

However, the crimps are a pretty standard size, and will fit in other 3030/3031 series housings.:
Male crimp - 3031T-1 - [www.toby.co.uk]
Female crimp - 3030T-1 - [www.toby.co.uk]

You may find it expensive to try and order these in small number from Toby, RS or Farnell. We can supply them; email Sally on info at reprappro dot com for a quote (they aren't on our new web store yet).

Alternatively, some people struggle with the crimps, so you could solder them or use a small 'chocolate block' style terminal block, eg [www.maplin.co.uk]

I hope that helps.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
April 16, 2014 02:50AM
Hi, Ian,

Thanks for the information, I have never heard of Toby Electronics so I will have to take a look. around the web site.

EDIT: Forgot to ask... How much current does the hotend heater draw?

Regards,

Les

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2014 03:03AM by Pointy.
April 16, 2014 05:37AM
The hot end heater cartridge resistance is around 3 ohm, so at 12V = 4 amps and 48 watts! However, unless the MOSFET that controls the hot end is shorted out and it runs flat out (or the hot end is connected directly to 12V), the PWM duty cycle is around 50% maximum (I can't quite remember how this is done - I'll check). Otherwise the heater would heat up very quickly - it's quite a powerful heater. In normal use, the hot end heater cartridge draws less than 1 amp, as the PWM duty cycle drops significantly.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support.
April 16, 2014 12:03PM
Thanks again for the info, Ian. I just wanted to make sure that if I do rewire the hotend, I use suitable wire.

Regards,

Les
April 17, 2014 04:41AM
Ok last question for now Ian.

Where do you get your screws, nuts & washers from or does anyone else know a good place to buy sensible quantities from?

Regards,

Les
April 17, 2014 04:48AM
Pointy
Ok last question for now Ian.

Where do you get your screws, nuts & washers from or does anyone else know a good place to buy sensible quantities from?

Regards,

Les

I use either AHC [www.ahc-camberley.co.uk] (who happen to be local to me, and also sell on Amazon) or various eBay suppliers.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login