Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Proximity Sensor and homing

Posted by dsred294 
Proximity Sensor and homing
June 07, 2014 04:28AM
Good day

I am having some trouble with the proximity sensor on my ormerod.
If the blue signal wire is not connected to the duet,G31 provides a reading of 399,
connected it provides 292,with nothing held close and with something held against the sensor the reading is 411 or 422.

It never seems to reach the 950+ values used in the commissioning guides.

I connected the proximity board to an Arduino Leonardo, using 3.3v with AREF, and get readings
of 950 etc. as expected when holding something close to it.

The board was connected the Leonardo using the wire loom of the Ormerod, to rule out bad connections.

I also compared my voltages to the readings in this thread,
[forums.reprap.org],
and they are spot on the same/very close.

Readings for the resistors and cap also return values within range.

I am running on RepRap Firmware 0.76 and M105 does responds with ok.

As a result X-homing is not functioning and I cannot set the Z cap.

Any ideas on what to do next?
Re: Proximity Sensor and homing
June 07, 2014 04:32AM
Is the "something held against the sensor" you refer to white, and are you holding it about 2mm from the face of the sensor? That is what you need to do to get high readings.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 07, 2014 04:37AM
Hi dc42

Something does refer to something white. I have tried 2mm and right against the sensor, still not getting a reading of above 423.
June 07, 2014 05:19AM
Which Duet pin do you have the blue wire connected to? You are running experimental RRP firmware, and I believe RRP have changed the pins that the z-probe connects to in that version.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

June 07, 2014 05:22AM
I was not aware of the pin change, still connected to pin 9, bottom row.
June 07, 2014 05:25AM
Try using either RRP 0.65e firmware or my 0.65e-dc42 firmware. Alternatively, look in the 0.76 firmware source code to see what the new pin is. I recall that Ian mentioned the pin number change in a post a couple of days or so ago - possibly in the thread I started about an acceleration bug.

EDIT: I just found that post, it references this commit: [github.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2014 05:30AM by dc42.

June 07, 2014 09:27AM
Loaded 0.65e firmware and z-probe values are now in the correct range. Thanks dc42.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login