Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Transporting the Ormerod

Posted by jstck 
Transporting the Ormerod
June 17, 2014 12:20PM
I need to haul my Ormerod in a couple of different vehicles across the country (by car and boat), and want to pack it up to be reasonably safe without an extreme amount of engineering effort. It will not be used anywhere moving, just transported. I don't want to disassemble things more than necessary, but I would like to minimize the chances of anything breaking from shocks, vibrations, or getting caught on things while handled.

I was thinking of doing roughly this to minimize the risk of transport damage:

• Take the ATX PSU off and carry that separately (pretty obvious)
  • Unload the filament (also pretty obvious)
  • Take off the extruder feeder assembly
  • Unbolt and take off the hotend assembly
  • Park the X carriage at the Z axis
  • Move the Z carriage down pretty low
  • Tape the Y carriage / bed to the frame to stop it moving about (with some not too strong tape, like painters tape)
  • Tape a piece of cardboard or styrofoam between the Z rod and aluminium frame, to make the Z rod less prone to getting caught in stuff and getting bent as a result

I don't have a case or anything for it, just a cardboard box that fits the base of it, but it is a bit lower so the z axis will stick out. Just to prevent cables from getting caught in anything and stuff like that.

I know KimBrown has been moving the Ormerod around a lot, did anything ever break from that? Any other precautions that are wise to take?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login