Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Metal bars, Threaded Rod and Oil

Posted by ezwul 
Metal bars, Threaded Rod and Oil
June 21, 2014 03:30PM
Hi all,

Ofter finishing my printer a couple of months ago, I now regularly come back to the forums for historical advice and to see if there is anything new I should be doing.

I recently read a post by DC, talking about using a Brass elongated nut on the Z axis. I promptly went off to the link he provided on ebay and bought one.
It now works very well, but did highlight to me how dirty the screw thread is and how the original nut is not a very tight tolerance.
The brass one would snag on different parts of the threaded rod where the original nut would move freely.
A good clean and a half a dozen traverses with the brass nut end to end and the whole threaded rod is now clean and running free.

My question is having oiled the threaded rod to allow better movement, should the bars and bearings for the other axis also be oiled, or are they already internally lubricated using something like ptfe or teflon?

Thanks for all the historical advice on the forums.
Lloyd
Re: Metal bars, Threaded Rod and Oil
June 21, 2014 03:38PM
I just use a little 3-in-1 oil on mine.

It would have been best to fit a new threaded rod when you fitted the new brass nut as the old nut will have worn the threads a little but it sounds like you got away with it.

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
June 21, 2014 04:08PM
Thanks, it seem to be running smooth, just needed confirmation from someone more knowledgable that these weren't self lubricating or could be damaged by oil.
June 21, 2014 04:18PM
No worries.

No not self lubricating but equally need little lubrication-these are not massive industrial machines after all and a tiny amount of light oil maybe once a month should work well.

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login