Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to stop a print safely?

Posted by MrCrispi 
How to stop a print safely?
June 28, 2014 03:42AM
Very occasionally (like all of us I guess) I need to stop a print for some sort of emergency. I am using @DC's excellent latest firmware and matching web interface and have found that if I hit the stop button, although the print does indeed stop, the whole web interface then freezes and I have no control over the printer - the fan continues to run, and I'm always worried that the hot end or bed might start heating up uncontrollably (although I have no evidence this would actually happen). Refreshing the web interface, or closing the interface down and restarting it does not help. I can only regain control by briefly removing the USB lead and replacing it, which inevitably means losing axis homing etc. Pause works perfectly, it's just stop that causes the issue and it's no major drama as it is not a common requirement, but wondered if anyone is seeing similar or if I'm doing something wrong...thoughts anyone?
Re: How to stop a print safely?
June 28, 2014 03:53AM
No, I have found the same, I am having fun switching to plain glass at present so lots of test prints, lots of emergency stops, lots of messing about smiling smiley

I think it turns off the heaters and freezes the processor in the printer. The only way I can regain control is to power cycle the printer then reload the web interface, re-home and start again.

It's a bit of a pain but I accepted it as "that's how it works" so I just get on with it now.

I'm never keen on cycling power though, always seems hard on electronics.

A reset button on the duet box would be good I think.

Even an emergency stop button would be good as my computer and browser interface are on one side of the room and the printer is over on the other smiling smiley

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
June 28, 2014 04:03AM
Always nice to find it's not just me smileys with beer Makes me wonder why we even have a stop button then, because I can yank out the USB lead anytime...I agree, I also hate to "crash" electronics anytime...all those memories of early days computing...
June 28, 2014 04:17AM
Yes, that's how it's designed to work. The emergency stop code shuts down the heaters and turns off the motors. It requires a reset to get out of it, which is why I show the state as Halted in the web interface. To reset it you can cycle the power or press the reset button. Sending the M999 command might also work, I can't remember.

I've thought this is a nuisance too, however any method of stopping the motors suddenly is going to upset the tracking of head position, so even without a reset, re-homing would be advisable.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 28, 2014 05:43AM
Ooh, I'll try the M999 code, sounds good.

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
June 28, 2014 08:00AM
I just tested it: yes you can use M999 to get the machine out of the Halted state. In the next version of the web interface, I'll change it so that clicking on the status button when in the Halted state sends M999 and changes the browser state back to Disconnected.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 28, 2014 02:18PM
Perfect - many thanks (as ever) @DC thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login