Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to use the prontface.py to slice the STL model?

Posted by sevenljy 
How to use the prontface.py to slice the STL model?
June 30, 2014 09:54PM
I have some problem with the software prontface.py. Every time when I slice the STL model downloaded from the Internet, error comes out(see in Figure 1).

May I have some tutorial material about the prontface.py or the slicing function of the prontface.py?
Thanks for your patience~
Re: How to use the prontface.py to slice the STL model?
July 01, 2014 07:45AM
The error message would suggest that it does not like path names containing non-Roman characters. Try moving everything into a directory with a path that has only ASCII characters.

Dave
(#106)
July 01, 2014 09:54PM
Thanks for your help!
When I use the "compose button" of prontface.py software, I loaded the STL file and after I clicked the finished button, I got SCAD file(I think it should be Gcode file?).
But I want to use the prontface.py to slice my STL file to Gcode file.How can I use the software to do this?May I have some tutorial materials?
Thanks~
July 02, 2014 02:23AM
You want to use Slic3r to slice STL to GCode not pronterface
July 02, 2014 04:56AM
For new users it can be confusing.....

Normally the designs for 3D Printers on ThingyVerse and other sites are STL files....
An STL file won't work with a 3D Printer so needs to be converted to a Gcode file using Slicing Software like Slic3r or Curra.
The reason why people don't put the designs up on ThingyVerse as Gcodes is because each design of Printer is slightly different,
and so uses different Gcode commands to produce the Print. In other words a Gcode file for a MakerBot or other design of printer, might damage your
Ormerod as a worst case...
The Slicing software needs setting up to suit your type of Printer.
I can't send settings for Curra as I don't use it. But here are my settings for Slic3r.
You may need to alter the speeds and fan control settings....
config.ini
Use Load config to use the settings.

Kim

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
July 02, 2014 07:46AM
You can set up Pronterface so that you can load an stl, and Pronterface calls Slic3r. It just requires setting up correctly. In Pronterface option, the 'slicecommand' 'sliceoptscommand' and 'sliceconfig' settings. See [reprappro.com] for details how to set these.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login