Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1/3 of the print is good, the rest is bad

Posted by Sardi 
1/3 of the print is good, the rest is bad
July 21, 2014 06:59AM
So this is my problem. It took me almost 4 days to figure out at wich temperature this new reel of robotic grey filament works the best, and I got to hot end 195C (lowest for the first layer to stick), hot bed 85C - since my object is thin, it wont stick under 85C without the brim, and it wont stick in general on the bed colder than 75C brim or no brim.

However, this is what happens:

This was printed with 195/85.
It all goes well for the first 10 or so layers (even without the second layer temperature change), and then it turns bad for me.

I had absolutely no problems with my former white reel of filament, but ever since I switched to robotic grey I couldnt get a single decent print, and I am so tired of trying that I dont know what to do any more or even if I am doing something wrong here.

Is this a temperature problem? (well I suppose it is)
Is this a coolant problem?
Could this be fixed by installing fan duct? (Im printing just with heatsink duct, altogh I printed with white filament also without the heatsink duct and every single print turned out perfect)
Could this be caused by my new slower fan?
Something fifth?

Thanks in advance,
Antonio
Re: 1/3 of the print is good, the rest is bad
July 21, 2014 08:01AM
IMO the bed temperature you are using is far too high. I think you need to solve the adhesion problem some other way, for example by printing on solvent cement or hairspray. Also I think it is a mistake to print PLA without the fan duct and a good fan, because PLA definitely benefits from cooling.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 21, 2014 08:09AM
It looks like too hot nozzle and/or not enough cooling.

PLA usually does a lot better if you have some cooling, so I'd put the whole fan duct back on. Also, you can try reducing hotend temperature after the first layer (185 or 190 or so). Slic3r has separate settings for first layer and "all other layers", it does require the correct start custom gcode to work though.
Different spools of filament (even from the same manufacturer, just different batches/colours) can behave a bit differently, and this might just be too hot for your current spool.
July 22, 2014 01:57AM
Hi guys.
Well, it looks like I am going to have to put the fan duct back on for this reel.
So far, with the former white reel I had no need for it, 99% of the prints came out perfectly, but it seems that this grey reel needs some extra cooling.

Thanks, will give it a go and report back here if I have any more problems.

Cheers,
Antonio
July 22, 2014 02:29AM
When printing PLA, it is probably a good idea to have the fan duct on. Even if some PLA filament might print without it on certain models, having it will give you a lot more margin in what temperatures you can print with, and I don't think it will make anything print worse (under any reasonable circumstances).
July 23, 2014 03:28AM
I made a fan duct that clips on to the existing one - when I print ABS I unclip it and the air vents out the back instead. Makes it a lot easier to chop and change..
July 24, 2014 10:38AM
I managed to print a file with brim, start temps 195/85 with 115% extrusion. After first layer it drops to 180/70 but still the walls are not perfect. As it seems, altough the white reel printed everything almost perfect without the fan duct, this grey reel could very much benefit from a fan duct, so I will print it out and try again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login