Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X axis inverted?

Posted by trublu 
X axis inverted?
August 18, 2014 02:06PM
Hi,

I switched the firmware from somewhere around 072 (might have been 069) to 089 and now my X axis seems to be inverted. Everything else behaves normaly. The wiring chance is done and all other connections are good.

When I try to home the x axis the heads moves out, away from the Z axis until i crashed into the limiter.

What did I miss?
Re: X axis inverted?
August 18, 2014 03:33PM
If I recall correctly, one of the firmware versions has deliberately reversed the X axis direction (I don't recall which version). You simply reverse the X stepper plug on the Duet board (so that it is connected in the same direction as the Y, Z and E motor plugs). It sounds as if the original firmware had the direction wrong, which was compensated by reversing the plug, and that version puts it to how it should have been in the first place. Not that it really makes any difference except to make the Duet wiring more consistent.

Dave
(#106)
August 18, 2014 04:19PM
The firmware has had the x-axis flipped since the beginning, which means wiring it the other way to the rest of the motors. This confuses lots of people, but they've got used to it, though it would have been better to have it correct from the beginning. However, in the future we'll be using keyed motor housings and the same on the Duet, so the axis will have to be switched at some point, rather than having special wiring for the X axis. I've wanted this change for ages... since the beginning!

We're going to flip the x-axis with the launch of the Ormerod 2. This has been done in the development firmware, around commit 0.82 from memory. All firmware after this means that the wiring order on the Duet for all the axes is the same - this undocumented feature is what you get for using the dev branch! When we release the next firmware (there may be a 0.78a tomorrow, mainly for Ormerod 2, just with the axis flipped), we'll try and make sure that we let everyone know, through the forum and on our blog.

I hope that helps!

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
August 19, 2014 04:05AM
Can't you just change the config file for the Ormerod 1/2? which goes with the firmware?

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#M569:_Set_axis_direction_values

Or is that not implemented?

regards
Andy

Ormerod #318
www.zoomworks.org - Free and Open Source Stuff smiling smiley
August 19, 2014 03:34PM
Hi

That helped, thanks a lot smiling smiley

regards
Jason
August 20, 2014 08:38AM
kwikius
Can't you just change the config file for the Ormerod 1/2? which goes with the firmware? Or is that not implemented?

It has been implemented, but in the 'dev' version of the firmware, commit 86. However, we need it for the Ormerod 2, so we have updated 0.78 to 0.78a to implement M569, plus reporting the offsets that G32 is using (so you can use it to measure and manually adjust the bed) and setting the machine name correctly for the web interface. This is in the 'test' branch of the firmware at the moment; it will hopefully be pushed to master by tomorrow. There is also separate SD-Image folders for Ormerod 1 and Ormerod 2, to set the X axis direction, and set the proximity probe to the modulated (4-wire) version.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login