Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New PSU required

Posted by 88Zombies 
New PSU required
October 05, 2014 02:06PM
Hi!
I'm currently running the Ormerod1 and getting a couple of complaints about the noise..

does any one know of any decent PSUs that are a bit quieter than the one supplied?
Re: New PSU required
October 05, 2014 02:29PM
Strange, my psu isn't that noisy.
The cooling on the extruders is way louder spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Just look at the dB when making your choise.
Also i just tested the max. watt. ormerod is using (for placing a UPS in between) and it's with the bed warming up and 1 extruder warming up around 300W.
When temperature is reached 150W.
So make sure the new psu supplies enough. And that it has a good 'efficiency' (or how do you say that in english?) 90-95%.

This is probably seriously overkill PSU example but the dB at 20% load are great winking smiley All depends on what you are willing to spend on one.
October 05, 2014 03:08PM
As Melmie says, the extruder fan is usually much noisier than the PSU fan. You can install one of my hot end boards to turn the fan off automatically when the print head isn't hot.

If you want a totally quiet PSU as well and you are comfortable with doing mains wiring, then I recommend this [www.ebay.co.uk] (the 300W version). You can use this printed cover [www.thingiverse.com] to cover the terminals and mount the connectors on.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 06, 2014 07:01AM
You can also replace the extruder fan with RS part number 758-8207 which will give enough air flow but is almost completely silent.

Dave
October 06, 2014 05:14PM
dc42
As Melmie says, the extruder fan is usually much noisier than the PSU fan. You can install one of my hot end boards to turn the fan off automatically when the print head isn't hot.

If you want a totally quiet PSU as well and you are comfortable with doing mains wiring, then I recommend this [www.ebay.co.uk] (the 300W version). You can use this printed cover [www.thingiverse.com] to cover the terminals and mount the connectors on.
just a quick question, when wiring the new 300w psu, is it simply a case of wiring it straight up to the duet and doing away with the small power pcb the alpine connects to?
October 06, 2014 05:55PM
Yes, I connected the Duet direct to the new PSU.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login