Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which parts of an Ormerod 1 break at first?

Posted by WolfgangA 
Which parts of an Ormerod 1 break at first?
October 11, 2014 12:39PM
Hi all,

a 3D enthusiast friend of mine recommended me, immediately after my printer works, I should re-produce all it's parts, so I would have spare parts and can repair the printer, when it breaks. Hm. A lot pieces, I do not think I need all of them.

So my question to the experiences users here, which parts of our beloved Ormerod fail at first and should I reproduce in advance?

Thanks for any useful hints smiling smiley

Wolfgang
Re: Which parts of an Ormerod 1 break at first?
October 11, 2014 01:25PM
Extruder mount would be my first parts, there are a few options though, but even the kit version would be a good standby.

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
October 11, 2014 03:13PM
In my experience, the parts that wear out are:

1. Nozzle mount. This softens, and in the original design the mounting screws tend to migrate along the slots, causing the head to sag. So I recommend printing one with holes instead of slots. I have a design at [www.thingiverse.com] and there are several others.

2. The filament wears through the extruder drive body. It needs a PTFE liner. I now use spring loaded extruders from masonstonehenge which have this liner, and can also be found on Thingyverse.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 11, 2014 03:59PM
Z axis gears and extruder gears since they are wear parts - I also see my X idler cracked as did one of the X arm bearing supports.

Socrates ~ The Amsterdamman
slic3r-1.2.9
October 11, 2014 04:33PM
The first thing for me was the z-axis threaded rod and the nut . Although not 3D-printed parts, it still made the printer unusable. This is a very common issue with the Ormerod - several threads.

I bought a brass-nut and a stainless steel threaded rod (+ spares) from ebay, and they have worked ever since. Just lubricate them well, when you install them.

:-) CArsten
October 11, 2014 04:58PM
colsenfoto
The first thing for me was the z-axis threaded rod and the nut . Although not 3D-printed parts, it still made the printer unusable. This is a very common issue with the Ormerod - several threads.

I bought a brass-nut and a stainless steel threaded rod (+ spares) from ebay, and they have worked ever since. Just lubricate them well, when you install them.

:-) CArsten

I have already had the symptoms of this, the rod and the nud have started to squeak. Some oil solved it. Let's see how long. This information tells me, I should put oil there as regular maintenance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2014 04:59PM by WolfgangA.
October 12, 2014 10:07AM
May I suggest you buy a couple of these ;-) [www.ebay.co.uk]

I lubricated it when I installed it, and I haven't had any problems for the last 6 months.

I changed the threaded rod to an A4 stainless steel rod at the same time, as my original rod showed visible wear.

:-) Carsten
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login