Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

connection problems

Posted by Andy B 
connection problems
October 29, 2014 07:55PM
Hi Guys

I've just purchased an Ormerod 2 and after a few false starts ( bit's missing crimps falling off wires etc) I have now got to the nightmare that is the commissioning stage (22 hours and counting!!)

my problem is every time I unplug the USB and then reconnect. sketch stops talking to the Duet board and i have to delete the Duet driver off the p.c. and reload it. I've managed to upgrade the firmware only took 5 hours

I'm using win 7, I've tried it with and without the SD card and i've tried the main USB on the computer and a USB hub in case it's a USB power prob

So before i chuck the Ormerod in bin. Has anyone got any idea why it won't connect each time without reloading the driver?
Re: connection problems
October 30, 2014 04:41AM
I have had trouble with my USB when I unplugged the cable without closing the port in software first,
the driver probably got confused by the missing device and needed to be restarted to work again...?

RS-Online Ormerod #263, Kossel mini with Minitronics, Prusa i3 MK2
October 30, 2014 05:14AM
I use Win7 64 bit. I find that if I don't disconnect in Pronterface before I reset the printer, then I have to exit Pronterface, disconnect and reconnect the USB cable, restart Pronterface, then connect.

If that doesn't work, try this. Go into Device Manager, locate the port, right click on it and select Disable. Then re-enable it. This often works for me when Windows stops communicating with other USB devices.

Occasionally I find that a USB port stops working. Then I have to either plug the device into another USB port, or restart Windows.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 30, 2014 07:14AM
Thanks guys.

The disable / enable seems to do the trick but i do have to work out in what sequence I have to do everything

oh well on with the rest of the commissioning

fingers crossed all goes well from here on in winking smiley
November 07, 2014 05:27AM
Might this be a device signing problem? I get occasional reports from people having driver issues with Windows 7 and 8. There's a workaround here if it is: [mytechblog.com]
Even the official instructions say you may have to manually install the driver: [arduino.cc]
There was a problem back in January 2014 with Arduino IDE was digitally signed, but this feels slightly different. I don't have a Windows 8 PC to test on, unfortunately.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login