Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet failiure?

Posted by Yella3D 
Duet failiure?
January 08, 2015 11:14AM
Hi guys.

I've had my Ormerod for just over a year now and have probably successfully printed about 15Kg of PLA with it.

After sucessfully completing a print yesterday, Today I fired it up for some more printing.

It fired up as normal via the PSU, but was not reconised by windows, forcing windows to try and install new drivers unsuccessfully. After a few re-boots, different USB cables, different SD cards and 2 different messages in windows (drivers could not be installed and this device can run faster if you use a USB 2.0 port) I decided to erase the firmware and see if windows reconised it. Low and behold, it showed up as expected (com14).

I sucsesfully flashed the firmware with Bossa, but when it is reset, again, windows does not reconise it. Erase firmware and windows sees it again.

I also tried another PC, but no difference.

No damage is seen on the board, the USB socket is correctly attached, connecting the USB lights the communication LED, Z micro switch activates the on-board LED with firmware onboard.

I've searched the forum for a similar issue, but none seem to be like mine.

Has anyone had a similar issue, or do any of the guru's have any idea what has happened?

I have ordered a new board fearing the worst, however I have a queue of prints to do for friends over the weekend.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Re: Duet failiure?
January 08, 2015 11:18AM
1. Have you tried connecting via the web interface? If it won't connect, can you ping its IP address?

2. Which firmware are you using?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 08, 2015 11:26AM
Hi DC.

Thanks for the Lightning response! Happy new year BTW.

Unfortunately, I have never had the web interface working, we had some communication about this last year. It just doesn't work, can't even ping it, even though the lights are working. possibly a manufacturing issue. I don't miss what I've never had, so I never looked into it any further.

Are you thinking its a problem with the USB interface IC?

Firmware was your version d, I've tried re flashing that and your newest version z, I've even tried an old reprap original.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2015 11:30AM by Yella3D.
January 08, 2015 12:49PM
Just a thought: does the port appear if you boot it up with the SD card removed? The USB interface is on the microcontroller chip, and is the same one that is used to upload the firmware. So I don't think it's a hardware issue, unless the faulty Ethernet interface is causing a problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2015 12:50PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 08, 2015 06:58PM
With the SD card removed, it's still the same.
January 09, 2015 03:36AM
Have you tried downloading the latest Arduino 1.5.x drivers?

You could also try putting some commands at the end of config.g to e.g. heat the bed or home the axes, to see if the software is working. But I haven't tested what sort of commands work at the end of config.g in a working system.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2015 03:40AM by dc42.

January 09, 2015 08:00AM
The symptoms suggest that the board is either not retaining its firmware through a power cycle or not looking for its firmware in the right place at powerup. As a silly suggestion, check that the erase button is not shorted or sticking. A failure of the CPU's EEPROM would no doubt be picked up in Bossa's "verify" stage during the firmware upload, and I am not familiar enough with either the CPU or Duet circuit to think of any specific board fault that would cause those symptoms. Most SOC processors have 2 or 3 pins that are hardwired high or low on the PCB to determine the boot method, and it is possible that a bad connection to a pullup resistor or processor pin has developed that has changed the boot method so it no longer looks at its EEPROM for the firmware. In many cases those pins are dual purpose and used for other things after the firmware is running, and in that case a fault in the part of the circuit that uses that other function can cause the wrong level on the pin at power-up and lead to a boot failure. I have one design where the board will not boot if a particular LED is mounted the wrong way around in production, because the pin that drives the LED is also a boot configuration pin, and relies on the LED conducting to supply it with the correct power-up level.

Dave
January 09, 2015 10:00AM
Thanks DC and Dave, I will give those ideas a shot, just a couple of points/questions.

DC, surely just adding a simple move command would suffice, I will give that a try.

Dave, I like your theory, but the Y end stop still switches the LED off after a power cycle, so I belive it does retain the firmware. The erase button seems to work ok, when pressed the port disappears from device manager and reappears after some time, press it again and it does the same. I wonder if there is a way to get Bossa, to just verify, without writing?

Let me try a couple of things and I will report back

Thanks again guys
January 09, 2015 10:30AM
Yella3D
Dave, I like your theory, but the Y end stop still switches the LED off after a power cycle, so I belive it does retain the firmware.

The LED is wired more or less directly to the endstop input, so the firmware is not involved.

Yella3D
I wonder if there is a way to get Bossa, to just verify, without writing?

Yes, see [www.shumatech.com].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2015 10:30AM by dc42.

January 09, 2015 02:16PM
Guys,

Thanks for your support. Turns out it is a USB issue on my PC, when I said I had tried another PC, what I had actually done is tried a different windows install on the same PC. Sorry about that.

I'm kind of up and running, however I've lost track of my last firmware version, so I'm getting strange moves on the extruder, tool selection and directional issues on the X axis. I will get this sorted tomorrow.

DC, do you have a change log for all of your firmware versions?

Thanks again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2015 02:18PM by Yella3D.
January 28, 2015 05:22PM
what exactly did you do? i am having similar problems i think
January 28, 2015 05:26PM
Yella3D
DC, do you have a change log for all of your firmware versions?

Github stores the full commit history, and I generally add a reasonable description of the changes whenever I commit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 05:26PM by dc42.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login