Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y carriage bearing locked

Posted by ellipse 
Y carriage bearing locked
February 12, 2015 12:13PM
Today my Ormerod.1 (official kit of january 2014) stopped printing because one of the Y-carriage linear bearing locked. It was almost impossible to move, I had to pull it very firmly to unlock it.
After inspection, both bearing seals were broken into small pieces, and some of them ended up inside the inner ball guides.
Since both seals are broken, I wonder if the defect can be caused by the lubricant that I'm using dissoving them (I use a minimal amount of firearms spray oil over the rods about every two moths).
Any insight?
Re: Y carriage bearing locked
February 12, 2015 12:43PM
Sorry to hear that. I've been putting simple 3-in-1 oil on my rods from time to time (the same stuff to use for sewing machines) and I haven't noticed any problems yet. I guess you either didn't oil your bearing frequently enough, it somehow damaged the rubber seals or didn't spread well enough... FYI, I need to put some oil on my rods about every other week: If the rubber seals look dry, I know it's time to put on some oil again. Btw, I bought my Ormerod 1 pretty accurately a year ago, and everything is still looking good on my machine.
Re: Y carriage bearing locked
February 12, 2015 01:24PM
This link might be helpful:

[reprap.org]

In fact I never oiled my linear bearings, because they are closed ones. My Ormerod 1 is from December 2013.
The only thing I do oil is the Z rod from time to time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login