Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament breaking.

Posted by Europa 
Filament breaking.
March 18, 2015 09:24AM
I have a problem with filament breakage, or rather filament exploding!

So far I have only bought filament from FilamentPrint, a UK company. I bought three rolls, two of which they replaced, all three have started out ok, good prints etc.. but after leaving the spool of filament in place on the printer (Ormerod 2) for a few days the filament has literally self destructed, numerous breaks, many short bits and others quite long so that the entire spool is useless! This has happened to all three spools.

I see many people ask about breakages in the extruder, this is much more drastic and happens to the filament on the spool, the path into the extruder is a gentle curve.

I have central heating in my house but no higher than 20 degrees, no damp and no extreme changes of temperature.

Please help? What am I doing wrong?

Regards,

Brian
Re: Filament breaking.
March 18, 2015 09:41AM
Europa
I have a problem with filament breakage, or rather filament exploding!

So far I have only bought filament from FilamentPrint, a UK company. I bought three rolls, two of which they replaced, all three have started out ok, good prints etc.. but after leaving the spool of filament in place on the printer (Ormerod 2) for a few days the filament has literally self destructed, numerous breaks, many short bits and others quite long so that the entire spool is useless! This has happened to all three spools.

I see many people ask about breakages in the extruder, this is much more drastic and happens to the filament on the spool, the path into the extruder is a gentle curve.

I have central heating in my house but no higher than 20 degrees, no damp and no extreme changes of temperature.

Please help? What am I doing wrong?

Probably nothing. Try a different filament supplier. I get all my PLA filament from Galactic Warehouse (aka eBay UK supplier latest-bidder, see [www.ebay.co.uk]) because I find that PLA from them adheres reliably to plain glass, unlike filaments from 2 other suppliers I tried.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 18, 2015 09:50AM
It sounds like the filament is sub-standard, but I would also suggest storing the filament in sealed bags out of bright light together with some desiccant whenever they are not being actively used for printing. Your house may not have any visible damp, but the RH almost certainly gets pretty high if you are in the UK, and filaments readily absorb water vapour from the atmosphere.

I use 3dfilaprint, and they supply a zip-lock bag and silica gel with every reel.

Dave
March 18, 2015 12:10PM
Many thanks,
For your suggestions, I have now ordered some filament from a different supplier and I will try taking it out of the printer and storing it when I finish a print.

Regards,

Brian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login