Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS profile for Ormerod 2

Posted by Europa 
ABS profile for Ormerod 2
May 06, 2015 12:57PM
Hi Guys,
Could someone please post a Slic3r ABS profile for Ormerod 2 ?

I have tried modifying the PLA profile but I am not really sure what I am doing apart from setting the bed to 85 degrees and the nozzle to 235 degrees.

Many thanks,

Brian
Re: ABS profile for Ormerod 2
May 06, 2015 02:39PM
Europa
Hi Guys,
Could someone please post a Slic3r ABS profile for Ormerod 2 ?

I have tried modifying the PLA profile but I am not really sure what I am doing apart from setting the bed to 85 degrees and the nozzle to 235 degrees.

Many thanks,

Brian

There's no changes from PLA apart for temperatures. Between 225 to 235 is about right for the nozzle, but a higher bed temperature might be better to get 1st layer to stick and prevent warping. I use 110 degrees for first layer and 95 degrees for the rest. Your PSU might struggle to get to 110, if so reduce it to a value you can achieve (and consider getting a PSU that you can tweak up the voltage a bit). Preventing warping is the main challenge, and that is more to do with the environment than slicer settings.

Dave
May 06, 2015 04:09PM
Hi Dave,
Many thanks for your comments, I did have trouble with warping on the last couple of prints with a bed temperature of 85 degrees. I will try to push it up a bit.

I am considering taking the bed wiring to a 12 volt relay instead which would then switch in and out a seperate power supply of say 15 or 20 volts and rated at 5 amps, this would help achieve the higher temperatures , I assume the bed would be ok with that voltage.

Brian
May 06, 2015 04:19PM
Europa
I am considering taking the bed wiring to a 12 volt relay instead which would then switch in and out a seperate power supply of say 15 or 20 volts and rated at 5 amps, this would help achieve the higher temperatures , I assume the bed would be ok with that voltage.

You would need a PSU rated at about 20A, not 5A.

As you have an Ormerod 2, a simpler alternative is to turn the power supply voltage up a little, using the potentiometer at the low voltage end of the terminal block. If you set it higher than 13.2V, then consider putting a couple of 1N4001 or similar silicon diodes in series with the hot end fan to reduce the voltage to nearer 12V. Also check that the 5V linear regulator isn't getting too hot, or put a heatsink on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 04:48PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 06, 2015 04:23PM
Hi Dave,
I will give that a try first but if not I will go for a 20 amp power supply.

Brian
May 07, 2015 07:37AM
I use an LED PSU that I've turned up to 14V (at its output). My bed takes about 7 minutes to get to 110 deg with that input voltage. I have made no other changes and the fan has survived running on 14V for over a year, but David's advice about putting a couple of series diodes for the fan would make sure it won't suffer any ill effects. I also have an Ormerod 1 and so use the Duet's 5V regulator which, being switchmode does not dissipate more power with an increased voltage. If I had an Ormerod 2 I think I'd probably not use the external linear 5V regulator and use the Duet's on-board regulator (AFAIAA it's just a couple of jumper changes) so I wouldn't have to worry about overheating the regulator with a higher voltage input. The only reason RRP made the change was because the switchmode regulator produces too much EMI interference and so did not comply with CE regulations, but that's unlikely to be an issue for the average user unless there are people close by who listen to HF radio.

Dave
May 10, 2015 06:21AM
Hi Dave, thank you for some interesting information.

I am not quite sure what you meant by "If I had an Ormerod 2 I think I'd probably not use the external linear 5V regulator" I had assumed the 5 volt regulator was on the Duet board and therefore internal rather than external.

Another post suggested that I fitted a heat sink to the regulator. It is difficult to know what is the best solution. I am considering putting up the voltage of the current PSU to say 13.5 volt (currently 12.5 volt) adding the diodes in series with the fan and fitting a heat sink to the Duet's on board regulator.

Brian
May 11, 2015 07:16AM
The Duet has a 5V switchmode regulator on-board, which is used for the Ormerod 1. When RRP changed the design to the Ormerod 2 they needed to get CE approval, and found that the switchmode supply produced too much EM radiation to comply, so they designed a simple linear 5V regulator and put it on a separate board to feed the Duet on the Ormerod 2 design (see here [reprappro.com] ) However if I understand correctly the Duet is still supplied with its onboard switchmode regulator that could be used instead (the choice of internal or external supply is made via jumper settings).

Linear regulators dissipate power in proportion to the difference between input and output voltage, and so increasing the input voltage will cause them to get a lot hotter, while a switchmode power supply will accept a higher input voltage (up to its rated limit which I think is around 30V for the Duet) without any increase in power. Turn up the voltage input to a linear regulator and the current from the PSU stays constant, meaning that the power supplied also increases, and that extra power must be got rid of by being converted to heat in the regulator. Do the same with a switchmode supply and you will see the input current decreases as the voltage increases - the power taken from the PSU remains constant and so there are no extra watts to get rid of.

Dave
May 11, 2015 07:39AM
dmould
The Duet has a 5V switchmode regulator on-board, which is used for the Ormerod 1. When RRP changed the design to the Ormerod 2 they needed to get CE approval, and found that the switchmode supply produced too much EM radiation to comply, so they designed a simple linear 5V regulator and put it on a separate board to feed the Duet on the Ormerod 2 design (see here [reprappro.com] ) However if I understand correctly the Duet is still supplied with its onboard switchmode regulator that could be used instead (the choice of internal or external supply is made via jumper settings).

The new Duet 0.8 boards have a 5V linear regulator on the main board instead of the switching regulator. RepRapPro have received the first of them, but I don't know whether they are shipping them yet or still shipping the revision 0.6 boards.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

May 11, 2015 08:17AM
dc42
dmould

The new Duet 0.8 boards have a 5V linear regulator on the main board instead of the switching regulator. RepRapPro have received the first of them, but I don't know whether they are shipping them yet or still shipping the revision 0.6 boards.

What a pity. Very much a retrograde step in my opinion and completely unnecessary. It is perfectly possible to design an onboard switchmode 5V regulator that passes EMI tests (I do so routinely) and that is the solution that should have been adopted IMO. Having a linear regulator means that the max. input voltage must surely be reduced, and in addition the additional heat generated on the Duet board could necessitate extra cooling in the enclosure. That additional heat will be of extra concern if the Duet's 5V is used to power external equipment such as an LCD display.

Dave
May 11, 2015 08:35AM
dmould
dc42

What a pity. Very much a retrograde step in my opinion and completely unnecessary. It is perfectly possible to design an onboard switchmode 5V regulator that passes EMI tests (I do so routinely) and that is the solution that should have been adopted IMO. Having a linear regulator means that the max. input voltage must surely be reduced, and in addition the additional heat generated on the Duet board could necessitate extra cooling in the enclosure. That additional heat will be of extra concern if the Duet's 5V is used to power external equipment such as an LCD display.

Dave

Dave, I completely agree. I suspect they could have made the existing regulator design quiet enough by using a shielded inductor in place of the current unshielded one, better circuit layout, and if necessary a small inductor on the input side to prevent EMI being radiated by the power in wires.

It has already been established that the on-board linear regulator on Duet 0.8 cannot provide enough current (~300mA) to supply a TFT display without overheating, so a separate 5V power brick will be required to power a PanelDue.

Duet 0.6 boards are available from Replikeo, although I guess they may eventually switch to the 0.8 design too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2015 08:36AM by dc42.

May 11, 2015 09:18AM
dc42
It has already been established that the on-board linear regulator on Duet 0.8 cannot provide enough current (~300mA) to supply a TFT display without overheating, so a separate 5V power brick will be required to power a PanelDue.

I guess you could design a MkII PanelDue that has an on-board switchmode regulator that can run from 5 or 12V - and maybe the option of feeding back to power the Duet 0.8 boards!

In my experience linear regulators are very seldom used these days except for very low power requirements, and switchmode design is a very mature discipline for which there is a wealth of readily available free information to help a designer overcome EMI and other issues, as well as a plethora of off-the-shelf components so you have no need to wind bespoke coils & transformers. I still use SMD linear regulators to derive 3.3V and 1.8V core voltages from a 5V supply where the power dissipated is milliwatts, but I haven't touched a 7805 for nearly a decade apart from development lash-ups.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login