Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Endstops not stopping steppers on axis homing

Posted by BeebBenjamin 
Endstops not stopping steppers on axis homing
May 31, 2014 08:48PM
Hi,

I have a duet controller board and a prusa i3 build. I have firmware RepRapFirmware-057a-16-01-2014 installed. I'm having problems with my microswitches and stopping the steppers when I press home on any axis. I have a couple of questions. Do I need pull up 10k resistors with this board? If so, where should I locate them. Also, do I have to change a setting in the config files in order to turn off proximity sensors and turn on microswitches? I have no clue why the switches are not triggering a response... I have tested them with a multi-meter and the switches are fine.

Thanks,

Ben
Re: Endstops not stopping steppers on axis homing
May 31, 2014 09:28PM
You shouldn't need any pull-up resistors, there are none on the Ormerod other than what is built into the Duet (where I suspect the LED + resistor counts as just that).

If things are wired correctly, you should see a red LED near the connector of each endstop. The endstops need to be wired "normally closed", and the LED should be on except when the endstop is triggered, at which point it goes off.

If you have the IR sensor enabled, it will not use endstops for X or Z homing. Turn it off with "M558 P0" to use regular endstops.

The X and Z endstops are configured as "minimum" (trigger at low X and low Z), while the Y endstop is "maximum" (trigger at high Y), so they need to be at the right end of each axis.
June 01, 2014 07:44AM
You need to add
M558 P0 ; Turn Z Probe off
to your config.g file.

I converted to ALL microswitches, and had the same problem till someone told me.
Kim..

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
June 01, 2014 07:59PM
How do I do this exactly? Do I add this command to the beginning or end of the config file. At the moment I press the switch, the led goes out and the motor keeps on going.

Scrap that, it works! Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2014 08:04PM by BeebBenjamin.
June 02, 2014 06:02AM
Your welcome. I got caught out exactly the same. You can add that line to the beginning of any of the home?.g files, and then reset the P variable at the end if you want to use a probe for anything.
Adding it to the config.g file makes it global for everything. But you can reset it via your Pronterface interface any time if you wanted to.
Kim

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
June 02, 2014 11:33AM
jstck
The X and Z endstops are configured as "minimum" (trigger at low X and low Z), while the Y endstop is "maximum" (trigger at high Y), so they need to be at the right end of each axis.

Although that is easily changed in the relevant homing G code.

Dave
(#106)
July 05, 2015 10:26AM
I'm in the middle of a similar upgrade and the endstop adaptation / motor direction piece has been the biggest challenge for me. Make sure to change the z-home config file to not use the z-probe command G30 it took me a while to figure that out in addition to the M558 command. Right now my z home looks something like this:

G91
G1 Z-240 F200 S1 ;approach Z Max quickly(ish) and stop at endstop (s1)
G92 Z0            ; set Z to value of X max
G1 Z5 F200        ; move back 5 mm
G1 X-10 F200 S1     ; move forward again, slowly stop when endstop hit
G92 Z0            ; set X to value of X max
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login