Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which to buy

Posted by MetalBasher 
Which to buy
July 15, 2015 08:56AM
I'm a newbie at 3D printing trying to choose between RRP's Ormerod and Mendel. Advice appreciated.
Ormerod is easier build (say RRP and looking at the instructions, I agree).
Mendel looks mechanically more rigid and axes better guided but can anyone confirm this (rich person who owns both...).
Build volume looks ok on either as I want to print small fittings for use with close-up photograph setups, as well as learning about 3D FF printing.
TIA
Bob
Re: Which to buy
July 23, 2015 05:27PM
Hi Bob, welcome. Out of the two I personally would suggest the Ormerod.
DC42 (one of the leading developers here) has been hard at work developing the Firmware (the software that runs the machine), and it really has improved the usefulness of the Ormerod by leaps and bounds.

I do allot of 3D printing work, and have basically worn my Ormerod out. It's had a real hammering, and needs some much needed TLC now.
So before taking it off line completely for overhaul (some of the components have briken due to the basing about the machine gets), I decided to try a Prusa 3i (similar to the Mendel.

After build the Prusa, I found that allot of the time I still preferred the Ormerod. Ok, some of that was familiarity with the trusted beast.
Ok it's not perfect, but with an Alley Bed for the table, DC42s firmware, and some of the other bits we've designed and developed as a community, it's become a Leading light.

I prefer the bridged design of the Prusa, as opposed to the Cantilever desgn of the X axis, but that's a matter of choice.
I'm in the process of replacing some of the broken components on my Ormerod, but it's still producing passable prints for me, and I have even made some of the replacement parts on the machine.

Personally I'd pick the Ormerod as a starting point.... Just order one of the Ally Bed at the same time, as the MDF beds the Ormerod came with were rubbish.
Also the Support you get from Reprap and other people on here is worth it's weight in gold.

(BTW my Ormerod does about 1500miles / month in it's case, and spends half it's life on a ship in some very bad weather. It's the inevitable bumps and scrapes it ensurers along the way that have taken their toll on it).

Let us know your decision...
Kim..

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
July 23, 2015 05:35PM
Hello,

what do you mean by Ally bed?

Regards,

Sven

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
July 24, 2015 12:58AM
OK.... here's a word for the RepRapPro Mendel 3, A lot of what Kim says doesn't apply to this machine, just older Mendels, when I looked at the options I opted against the cantilever design of the Ormerod

1) The firmware and hardware is identical, they both use the Duet controller which in comparison to others I've seen is excellent,
2) It can fit three extruders as opposed the the Ormerods 2.... I suspect there is actually scope for 4 extruders, but you may have to use a different duet shield (there is one available that takes 5 extruders), and probably has to use different firmware.
3) The Ormerods cantilever designs will always suffer droop as the X head moves towards the limit of motion, however its likely that the bed leveling firmware will compensate this.
3) Again due to the cantilever design I would also expect there to be some Y axis induced rotation in the 'C' axis.
4) Would feel far happier transporting a Mendel 3 than an Ormerod, that cantilever design will suffer a lot of motion induced stresses where it meets the Z pillar.. if your going to be transporting the Ormerod make sure you have a means of supporting the cantilever in the Z and Y directions
5) would recommend not mounting an Ormerod on anything but a firm surface (ie no vibration dampers) as motion in the Y axis could translate into stress between the cantilever arm and the Z Pillar

The downside of the Mendle 3....
1) It does lack rigidity in the XZ plane, this is the plane that will probably suffer the most in operation fatigue, but this is mitigated by the use of Bowden extruders which removes a lot of weight from the X head, older Mendel designs had direct extruders, I've been working on a better way of bracing the Z axis, but without modifying it to a portal style XZ frame I suspect I will only make minimal improvements.
2) the X axis weight savings from using a Bowden extruder are virtually lost when using a triple head.
3) The dual motor Z axis on the Mendel has some scope for difficulty, as has the fact that the X axis is suspended from the Z motors couplings, but it does mean that the Z axis has some extra give.
4) The MDF bed may be a future problem, I've been looking at some replacement options.
5) Multiple extruders increase your printing problems exponentially, there is a lot to be said for a machine with just one extruder that can use it well!.... but with time I'm finding ways round the problems
6) the relationship of the frame geometry to the Cartesian axes of the Mendel are more complex in comparison to the true Cartesian frame geometry of the Ormerod... but that's where the compensation firmware kicks in and saves the day!

Speaking with a lot of older Mendel users it sounds like their real problems were not having the compensation firmware that's in the Duet controller, I suspect that over time both machines will suffer wear issues, and historically fixing them on a mendel style machine without compensation software may have been a pain, and its probably a LOT easier to build an Ormerod with accurate Cartesian axes than it is a Mendel.... but when the software does such a great job of fixing this it doesn't matter as much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2015 03:49AM by bgkdavis.
July 24, 2015 02:42AM
I have to correct yourself:

1) The Ormerod is designed to handle 3 Extruders.
2) There is a x-arm made of aluminium available which reduces every problem dramatically. I have no wobbling or something like this.
3) Anti vibration feet works very well. Very much members of this forum uses them without any problem
4) Finally I really like the design. It is not so enormous and moderate compared to other printers. For commercial use this does not matter but for private use I think this matters.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
July 24, 2015 04:12AM
ah OK easy mistake I guess, all the documentation on the Ormerod only say it can have two extruders, and RRP only sell a Dual colour upgrade for the Ormerod as opposed to the Tri Colour upgrade available for the Mendle 3, I know the Duet can handle 3 extruders, and I'm fairly sure that many people can fit a third Extruder... it just appears that RRP don't want to use a third extruder as a selling point on the Ormerod.

If you replace every weak part with a sturdier equivalent then you improve all the issues on both designs, it seams to self defeating trying to argue that design A is sturdier than design B unless you replace weak parts in B with something stronger such that its stronger than A unless you strengthen that too so it is again stronger than B... I tried to keep it simple and asses the out the box design.

Problem with anti vibration feet is they will permit the Y axis inertia to induce motion into the frame which in turn becomes stress at the Z pillar.......fatigue will always win, its just a matter of time.

Of course you like the design which is why you bought it, 30 years of engineering with CNC machines has led me to by far prefer twin column designs over cantilevers which is why I didn't buy the Ormerod.
July 24, 2015 04:28AM
MetalBasher
I'm a newbie at 3D printing trying to choose between RRP's Ormerod and Mendel. Advice appreciated.
Ormerod is easier build (say RRP and looking at the instructions, I agree).
Mendel looks mechanically more rigid and axes better guided but can anyone confirm this (rich person who owns both...).
Build volume looks ok on either as I want to print small fittings for use with close-up photograph setups, as well as learning about 3D FF printing.
TIA
Bob

Have you considered the Fischer? It has a smaller print volume than the Mendel and Ormerod, no heated bed, and I think it will only ever be single extruder, but it costs less and may be sufficient for your requirements.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 24, 2015 04:41AM
Even with the acrylic arm I had no serious issues. I was only afraid that I accidentally can break the arm like others already did. And it is the only chance to eventually use it for CNC operations (PCB drilling). And as I said for commercial needs I would buy a Mendel for example instead.

July 27, 2015 03:32AM
Thanks all for the very interesting discussion. I guess that any choice is some sort of compromise.
Ormerod is ordered (that's my compromise). I shall watch out for the points raised about it.
Mine will not go on the road; I'd probably have made a different choice if that was my aim.

There are several parts that look like candidates for alloy replacements at some time: the acrylic and laser cut ply ones. The ply bed plate (not the carriage) is also acting as an insulator, so that would need more thought I expect. Increased mass might potentially be a problem for some y-axis parts.

Does anyone use heatsink compound (as used on CPUs) to improve heat transfer between the nozzle mounting block and the heatsink? Too much is worse than useless but a thin smear really ought to help.

Thanks again,
Bob

New to 3D printing; long experience making things of metal the 19th century way. Slowly trying to get into the 21st century.
July 27, 2015 05:33AM
MetalBasher
There are several parts that look like candidates for alloy replacements at some time: the acrylic and laser cut ply ones. The ply bed plate (not the carriage) is also acting as an insulator, so that would need more thought I expect. Increased mass might potentially be a problem for some y-axis parts.

The original MDF bed support on the Ormerod 1 was problematic, but I have not heard anyone say that the redesigned ply bed support of the Ormerod 2 isn't adequate.

MetalBasher
Does anyone use heatsink compound (as used on CPUs) to improve heat transfer between the nozzle mounting block and the heatsink? Too much is worse than useless but a thin smear really ought to help.

I use a thin smear of heat transfer compound in that position. I don't think it's critical.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

July 27, 2015 05:57AM
Just to be clear, there is only dual nozzle support for the Ormerod. There are positions for three extuders on the X axis arm, but we only supply a hot end that can take two nozzles, not three. The Huxley Duo support two nozzles, too. The Fisher only supports one nozzle. The only printer we do with three (and possibly four) nozzles is the Mendel.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
July 27, 2015 06:57AM
But the electronics and the arm supports three nozzles so in theory I only need another nozzles with a block to get support for three nozzles at one time. For me this is not a big deal as long as there is support by the electronics and I can place the extruder.

July 27, 2015 07:04AM
Hi Treito

That's very true, just that we don't offer it as standard. To add a third hot end to an Ormerod, you have to hack it yourself!

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2015 07:04AM by droftarts.
July 27, 2015 11:56AM
Thanks Ian. I intend to build as standard and get some experience before think about mods!
The discussion has been interesting, though. Always good to hear from those with experience.
Bob

New to 3D printing; long experience making things of metal the 19th century way. Slowly trying to get into the 21st century.
July 27, 2015 01:32PM
Treito
But the electronics and the arm supports three nozzles so in theory I only need another nozzles with a block to get support for three nozzles at one time. For me this is not a big deal as long as there is support by the electronics and I can place the extruder.

I did a 2-nozzle Ormerod conversion before the official kit came out. The details are at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] and a few other Ormerod owners copied it. You could extend this idea to 3 nozzles - it would be even easier now using the quickset nozzles. If you design a triple nozzle cooling block, Davek0974 will probably be able to machine it for you.

July 27, 2015 02:33PM
I only mentioned it as someone above thought it would not be possible with the Ormerod. I will try to use 2 chinese E3D V6 replica with my new Ormerod as I accidentally bought them at 02:30 a.m. in the morning local time. I mixed up Extruders and hot-ends, but this should work also but we will see soon. Maybe I extend later to 3 nozzles but I am more interested in this Vulcano (?) piece, where you have only one nozzle for three Extruders. Otherwise I feel free to ask Dave or maybe I can ask one of our business partners as the company where I work sells hydraulic connection blocks for example. But regarding private business our partner company is not very fast. But maybe I will get in touch with you dc42 if you are interested in developing something for us and maybe also producing, but I have to first ask my boss first if this is okay and if so I would use official channels.

@heatsink I do not use the heatsink compund that you can find in the computer sector as this is high efficiency compound. I use normal heatsink compound for semiconductors that is more than enough.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login