Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet 5V Power

Posted by bower-andy 
Duet 5V Power
August 26, 2015 02:17AM
Hi,

Is this the best forum to talk about general Duet issues, or is there a better place?

So, I'm building a delta printer and have decided to switch to Duet 0.85 electronics from Think3DPrint3D (mainly to get dc42's auto calibration). I am powering the board off a single 12V supply, so using the onboard regulator for the 5V electronics. However, I want to connect the printer to an RPi (to use OctoPrint and PrintToPeer) but when I attach the USB cable it seems to bring down the RPi. I'm guessing that when I connect the USB the Duet is switching over to using the 5V from the RPi and drawing too much current.

So my question is, is it possible to force the 5V to be taken from the onboard regulator (by jumper or software) to avoid overloading the RPi. I realise I could probably use a powered hub or add an additional 5V supply but I don't really want to do this.

Best regards
Re: Duet 5V Power
August 26, 2015 02:50AM
The Duet will take power from the internal regulator or from the USB port. They both feed the 5V rail through diodes, so whichever provides the higher voltage will end up supplying the power.

The Duet doesn't need all that much 5V power, maybe 150mA or so, although if you add a PanelDue then the backlight for the graphics panel also needs 300 to 400mA.. Most USB ports can supply 500mA, so I'm surprised the RPi can't. A bit of searching turned up this [hackaday.com].

Another solution would be to cut the +5V wire in the USB cable between the RPi and the Duet.

HTH David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2015 01:20PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 26, 2015 03:55AM
What power supply do you use for your RPi? My RPi can even drive a HDD without problems. The RPi is very sensitive regarding the power supply. With cheap power supplies you get trouble like yours. They cannot deliver stable 5V.
BTW this is the forum part for a specific printer but it is not a problem as you have a common problem. I only wanted to answer your question.
Can you please take a picture from your power supply so I can read the technical data?

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
August 26, 2015 12:29PM
@Treito, the PSU is the "official" RPi 2A unit.

Although I do have a WiFi adapter and camera connected too, I would have thought that the RPi would have enough additional power to run the Duet (I have even disconnected the panel). However, thanks to @dc42, I see that there is a known issue with RPi USB power (although I'm still a bit surprised since I have nothing else connected). I'll try cutting the +5V in the USB cable and see what happens then.

Thanks.
August 26, 2015 01:24PM
WiFi adapters need a lot of power, so I'm not surprised you are exceeding the 600mA total limit. I guess either the RPi USB voltage is a bit high or the Duet output voltage from the on-board regulator is a bit low. Do you definitely have the jumper installed on the Duet to enable the on-board regulator? Can you control the Duet via the web interface, without the USB cable connected?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 26, 2015 08:52PM
So I did not connect a Wifi adapter on my RPi so it is no surprise that the RPi did not work. but the link provided by dc42 surprised me a little bit as there is a real designing issue for the USB ports as each port should provide 500 mA.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
August 26, 2015 09:26PM
This is probably the best forum for Duet knowledge, I don't have an Ormerod. but frequent here for my Duet fitted Mendel 3

However, the best forum for a Delta with a duet may actually be the Fisher forum, I've actually just bought a spare Duet for my Mendel, and it came in a box with a load of fisher parts :......well that's what I told the wife grinning smiley

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
August 26, 2015 09:58PM
bgkdavis
This is probably the best forum for Duet knowledge, I don't have an Ormerod. but frequent here for my Duet fitted Mendel 3

However, the best forum for a Delta with a duet may actually be the Fisher forum, I've actually just bought a spare Duet for my Mendel, and it came in a box with a load of fisher parts :......well that's what I told the wife grinning smiley

It is only important to mention at the beginning of the thread that you do not have an Ormerod at the beginning of the thread as some facts my differ.
What kind of fisher parts did you get? Are there any usable parts for non Fisher users? I still need a new Duet board and I cannot decide to buy it here, to buy the cheaper Chinese replika or to buy the newer version.

August 26, 2015 10:26PM
I got the whole kit minus 3D printable plastic, I'm actually doing a lot of prints on my Mendel that take 8-10 hours and needed something that I could work with for small parts during long prints, but when you look at the price of the Duet verses the whole kit it was a no brainer for me, and in situations where you suspect you have blown a board (like I did when I had the network faults) or motor its handy to have one that's otherwise working that you can swap out...... and especially handy that they share firmware and all you need to do is change the memory card.

Besides the Duet there are a lot of common parts in the fisher kit, motors, bearings, MXL hardware etc,

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
August 27, 2015 02:17AM
But in that case you have paid far too lot as I am RepRapping an Ormerod 2 at the moment. I know what I am talking about. As soon as I finished (I am very close to this) I will provide a bill of material including costs and you will see. So this is no option for me.

August 27, 2015 03:11AM
You may believe you know what your talking about, but you lack understanding of my needs and interests, and I have no interest in your machine.... if I had wanted an Ormerod 2 I would have bought one from RRP, and not a copy from you.

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
August 27, 2015 03:40AM
Sorry you did get me wrong. You wanted to have spare parts and bought a complete Fisher kit? In that case I would have printed the parts and would build a Fisher.
If I am only interested in spare parts I would have bought them alone and not as complete kit as this is too expensive as you pay for parts which some of them you cannot use for your Mendel. So in my eyes this is not a good option.
The Ormerod 2 was only an example. But why you do not print the missing plastic parts and build a Fisher? If I had spent that money I would have done this yet or in your case I would have bought a Mendel kit if you are only interested in spare parts.
I did not want to attack you in any case and if got my post in such way I have to say sorry.

August 27, 2015 03:48AM
NO, I wanted a small fast printer, the spare parts gag is a joke, and whilst there are choices the spare parts option made the fisher a good choice!, and is on fact a backward justification

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login