Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ethernet Cable / Duet "no green light"

Posted by cpbee 
Ethernet Cable / Duet "no green light"
August 25, 2015 02:14AM
Dear all,

My Ormerod works flawlessly. However, whenever I try to connect an Ethernet cable there is NO green (or orange) light - tried different cables and setups (e.g. also the working cable from my Desktop Computer).

Is there a way to activate the ethernet power (jumper or firmware settings) or do I have to contact the vendor for warranty claim (this is annoying since I have everything else up and running).

Thanks,
Chris
Re: Ethernet Cable / Duet "no green light"
August 25, 2015 06:44AM
What kind of cable do you use? Patch cable or Crossover cable? Which Router?
Which firmware version?
Can you post your config.g?

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
August 25, 2015 08:59AM
Start by setting the config to a fixed ip setting and direct connect it to your computer, you may need to change your computers ip settings to a fixed ip, make sure its the same subnet as the duet...ie if the duet is 192.168.1.14 then set your computer to 192.168.1.21..... if you cant get it to work doing this then there may be a problem

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
August 25, 2015 10:58AM
Thanks for your help.

I will try to answer your questions:

- "Normal" LAN cable (No Crossover).
- My Network is connected with a WLAN router and a switch. I can connect other computers to the switch.
- I am using the current "original" RepRap 1.09 Firmware

I tried using a fixed IP BUT the problem is, that there is NO light at the Ethernet port itself. Also when I plug in the cable my router is NOT recognizing that a machine is plugged in (e.g. when I connect a computer or printer then the router shows a LED indicating a connected machine).
August 25, 2015 11:55AM
my guess is the port wasnt soldered well and it came loose , or its another foult on the duet.
August 25, 2015 02:10PM
And where is the config.g?
Once I had a smiliar problem and it was a fault inside the config.g.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
August 25, 2015 06:11PM
cpbee

I tried using a fixed IP BUT the problem is, that there is NO light at the Ethernet port itself. Also when I plug in the cable my router is NOT recognizing that a machine is plugged in (e.g. when I connect a computer or printer then the router shows a LED indicating a connected machine).

Take your router out of the equation, just a single cable between the printer and your computer, no switches, no routers, just a cable, not being able to see the printer at the router is not unusual, and I've seen some pretty screwy network behavior with my Duet so it really is best to start by taking your network out of the equation.

What about the orange led is that also absent? the lack of any lights at the port is unusual, and as said could be indicative of a fault

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
August 25, 2015 07:30PM
If you connect directly to the PC you may need a crossover cable depending on the PC.
The missing LED could also indicate that there is a problem with the config.g if I remember correctly. I had to type "T0" at Pronterface before the network started (and before the LED was on if I remember correctly). Changing the config.g helped. The RepRap-version 1.09 is affected by this bug.

August 26, 2015 11:28AM
If the same cable that is plugged into the Duet works fine when plugged into a laptop or other device, then the green LED (which is controlled directly by the PHY chip and simply indicates a live Ethernet connection) should definitely light regardless of configuration or network settings. The fact that it is not lighting indicates that there is almost certainly a hardware fault on the Duet. The most common faults are unsoldered connections, so check and re-solder the pins on the Ethernet connector and examine the joints on the pins of all nearby components under a strong lens.

Dave
August 26, 2015 02:42PM
Hi Dave,

I will try to contact first RepRap Pro. I have the stromg feeling that it is hardware fault. Before I start to solder I want to check if there is another solution.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks.

Chris.
September 16, 2015 06:11AM
Hi Chris,

Did you get this resolved? I've got the same problem on my Duet board and thought I'd check here before trying to get hold of RepRap

Cheers

Damien
September 26, 2015 02:11PM
Dear all,

yes, I got it resolved. Thanks to the great support from RepRap Pro. I received a new Duet (I had to send the damaged one bag). It was clearly a problem of the Duet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login