Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What kind of glass should I have on the heated bed?

Posted by brlowe 
What kind of glass should I have on the heated bed?
January 20, 2016 10:39AM
My kit came with a piece of 2.2mm fiberglass for printing on, is that what I should be using or should I be using glass like window glass?
Re: What kind of glass should I have on the heated bed?
January 20, 2016 01:38PM
My glass is 3mm thick and came from a picture frame. I had to shorten it by scoring one end
January 20, 2016 02:18PM
Normally window glass can be difficult. There are some different manufacturing processes. Most of them cannot guarantee an even surface. Borosilicate glass is often used for 3D-printing, but it is expensive. I only use this type of glass.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
January 20, 2016 02:59PM
Ordinary float glass is adequate, but occasionally you get a piece that is bowed, so check it for flatness against the edge of a steel ruler.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 20, 2016 03:07PM
OK I will try what came with the kit but also get some glass cut at the hardware store as a backup. I see stuff listed on Amazon also but do not know what is good and it looks expensive.
January 20, 2016 04:53PM
I only used picture frame glass because it was $2 new and came with a free wooden frame. I don't expect it to last long smiling smiley
January 20, 2016 06:49PM
Good point. Ordinary glass is not intended to use in high temperature. If the heat is not spread evenly ordinary glass could break. Borosilicat glass can even spread the heat even.
The fiberglass from Replikeo is crap.

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
January 21, 2016 07:48AM
I use an aluminium bed instead of glass which works well. e.g. [www.ebay.co.uk]

Dave
January 21, 2016 01:27PM
The mk3 heatbed has an aluminium backing. In theory, you can print directly on top

[www.makershop.co.nz]
January 21, 2016 01:58PM
Treito
Good point. Ordinary glass is not intended to use in high temperature. If the heat is not spread evenly ordinary glass could break. Borosilicat glass can even spread the heat even.
The fiberglass from Replikeo is crap.

I've used several sheets of ordinary 3mm float glass for the last year - not had one break (yet!). I do take care to ensure that the glass is heated evenly (it sits on an aluminium heatbed) and that it doesn't get scratched (there is a sheet of thick black paper between the bed and the glass - needed to keep the ir sensor happy). The paper ensures that the glass sits on a non-scratch surface.
January 21, 2016 02:12PM
Like I said it depends. You can have luck or not. This is partly depending on the manufacturing process. I was not in the mood to risk this for a small amount of money especially breaking glass can be dangerous.

January 21, 2016 02:43PM
AFAIK all window glass is made using the float glass process these days - please correct me if anyone knows otherwise. Lots of people print on float glass. The only time I have heard of it breaking was when the user put it directly on top of a silicone heater without an aluminium heat spreader in between.

In the unlikely event that it does crack, it will probably break into a small number of large pieces, so easier to deal with than e.g. a broken wine glass.

So I see no point in paying for borosilicate, I get 3mm or 4mm glass cut to size by my local glass merchant instead. Out of about 9 pieces I have had cut, I had to throw out just one because it wasn't flat enough.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 21, 2016 03:04PM
David J
I've used several sheets of ordinary 3mm float glass for the last year - not had one break (yet!). I do take care to ensure that the glass is heated evenly (it sits on an aluminium heatbed)....

I use 4mm float glass (windows glass) on the heatbed directly without any problems, the aluminium heat spreader is not needed IMHO

Erik
January 21, 2016 03:58PM
ormerod168
David J
I've used several sheets of ordinary 3mm float glass for the last year - not had one break (yet!). I do take care to ensure that the glass is heated evenly (it sits on an aluminium heatbed)....

I use 4mm float glass (windows glass) on the heatbed directly without any problems, the aluminium heat spreader is not needed IMHO

Erik

No heat spreader - the heated bed itself is aluminium.
January 21, 2016 04:25PM
David J
ormerod168
David J

Erik

No heat spreader - the heated bed itself is aluminium.

Not the original Heated bed. Its PCB material(no idea what it is).
January 21, 2016 04:33PM
It is probably FR4 some sort of fiberglass.
According to Wikipedia there are three methods of getting window glass. The most probably method is floating. But even with this method it is only most probably but not sure that you get an even surface. After having so much trouble with my Ormerod 1 I didn't want to risk this and if things would have gone wrong I would have had to buy glass at 3 or even more places to get suitable glass and for that small amount of money? Especially as I always have luck. I only can say two broken Duet boards and no clue why...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login