Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need Help: Error reading file

Posted by Fpex 
Need Help: Error reading file
January 14, 2016 07:45AM
I am now getting this error on anything i print ...... any clue what it might be?

I am still running the standard latest firmware with a new bed and a modified head with two fans (but one is disconnected since I am on ABS). All connections seems fine, no problem in temps or things like this. I just get the error and the printer stops.
The last time I saw it is was a supply that was not powerful enough, but this cannot be the case.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2016 09:34AM by Fpex.

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
Re: Error reading file
January 14, 2016 08:22AM
I now changed SD card and see ing it happens again. IF it does, I have no clue.

UPDATE: it is not the SD card. No idea what to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2016 09:31AM by Fpex.

Re: Need Help: Error reading file
January 15, 2016 04:41AM
Is this with newly uploaded files only, or with any file?

Does it happen right art the start of the print, or some way into it?

If you run M503, does it display the contents of config.g correctly?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 15, 2016 08:03AM
Old files and new files. It happens only during a point. I will check M503 what it reports, but the win interface shows a correct one.

January 15, 2016 10:46AM
How do you want to know that this is not SD card related? What sort of SD card are you using?

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
January 15, 2016 11:04AM
I tried a few by now.
Only thing i did before this started to happen was to replace the broken head fan with another one (apparently equal). Since then, all prints die and all at a ransom moment.
Always reported as file read error.

January 15, 2016 03:28PM
I would like to see some details of the cards especially as not all cards work properly.
Your problems started with the fan exchange. Maybe the new fan is broken? Unsuitable? Do you have a data sheet? Is there a short circuit and you already broke the Duet?

Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
January 15, 2016 06:43PM
I wonder if the 3.3V supply voltage could be dropping? The SD card might possibly be the first component to complain about it.

Do you have the USB cable connected? If so, you may get transients fed through the resulting ground loop, and as the SD card socket is next to the USB connector, it could be that this affects the SD card first.

Also check that the processor on the Duet is not getting hot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2016 06:44PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 16, 2016 02:02AM
dc42
Also check that the processor on the Duet is not getting hot.

Per the documentation, ensure the processor doesn't feel any hotter than 40C. If you feel it's up in the 60+ range (ie, too hot to touch for long), there's something wrong with your Duet.

Are the SD cards still readable in another computer, or is the Duet possibly frying your SD cards? Your Duet is doing what mine was doing ... it completely destroyed 2 SD cards before I realised the processor was running hot, and my Duet hasn't been responsive ever since.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2016 02:04AM by 0x0000.
January 16, 2016 02:31AM
I used cards I normally use with my cameras and videos's (kingston, sandisk, toshiba and the like). I have no USB cables and all main chips have a dissipator on. I also have equipped main and bed power lines with ferrite elements.
All SD card are still useable, none got damaged.

I will check for their temps and if all is normal, I will dismount the head and see if any soldering there got broken (I do not use the standard connector there as it came broken and I hate crimps).

If none of this helps, I dismount the printer fully (again!!) and check every single connection.

If that does not work ... I might replace the duet or the supply or both.

The problem is that this approach needs lot of time that i do not have :-(

Grrrrr my ormerod spent more time being rebuilt than printing. Which is part of the fun I guess.

January 16, 2016 02:46AM
My question aimed to the speed class for example.

As your trouble started after changing the fan I would suggesst to disconnect the hot-end for testing purposes. I have no idea how this could be related but it is strange that your problems started after changing the fan. So I would start here indeed at first.

January 16, 2016 03:07AM
Indeed. This is where I am starting from this week end.

January 21, 2016 05:03AM
The big chip and all parts are rather cool, but the dissipator on the 5v regulator is rather warm. I cannot measure it, but I would say between 60 and 50 at the touch.

January 28, 2016 02:12PM
I am starting to think that it is the runaway protection that is making a mess because i have longer wires then normal on an ormerod.
Could that be the case?
How can i get the log out of the duet to understand what is going on? Connecting pronterface while writing like the other repraps?

January 29, 2016 09:39AM
I really need help here, guys.
I have this ormerod2 on a duet 0.6 that worked ok till my last changes. I have changed the head to add a second fan for cooling PLA and not ABS. The fan is not connected. So, nothing should be different here.
All wires have been checked and all is fine.
But the printer keeps stopping after few layers.

The heated bed and head are still on, no error is reported.
The electronics is not hot.
I use different STL files.

I tried to print from pronterface like the old days for a log, that did not produce any log.

How can i understand what is going on? It is very frustrating.

January 29, 2016 10:44AM
Perhaps the SD card socket has developed a bad contact?

January 29, 2016 11:28AM
No. I have been doing few tests today and I believe that the new cooling fan for the head and the new PCB bed needs more current than the two broken ones. So my assumption that leasing the filament cooling blower disconnected resulted in the same condition as with the original bed and head fan, was wrong. I think i can solve it if I educe the max pvm.

January 29, 2016 12:48PM
I was wrong, the one file that printed was an exception. was file without traveling. Anything else i try to print a bit bigger or worthy holes it blocks and gives again file error. No matter what temps i use and what amps i consume
I am really lost. I can try too move to DC42 firmware, but i doubt the fw is the culprit

How can i check the sd card socket?

UPDATE:

I stripped the code from the commands that heat up bed and hot end and I let it be execute. It works fine except that zillions warnings that the tool cannot be driven (so extruder off) but the z-axis does not move (not sure this is correct).
So, i guess it is not the SD card.Unfortunatwly I do not have a second duet 0.6 for a quick a swap and replikeo is darn expensive to buy one just to test it.

Next test will be print with bed off. Maybe the new riprap bed is the culprit.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 01:36PM by Fpex.

January 29, 2016 03:35PM
What firmware are you running? If it's the stock 1.09 then there have been numerous bug fixes and improvements since then, so you should upgrade to my or chrishamm's latest.

January 29, 2016 03:39PM
I am using the stock one 1.09, it served me fine. I will update to yours and try again. I need to flash it on the other duet anyhow for the OB I am building

January 30, 2016 03:37AM
I have installed the latest dc42 firmware and updated the sd card. I also changed the config with value from the older firmware (reduced acceleration/min speed and z calibration)
Anything else i should pay attention to? I just want to avoid that now i see problem unrelated to my original issue but related to my ignorance about this firmware

Thanks a lot guys for the help

January 30, 2016 06:46AM
You will need to adjust the two M208 commands according to where the edges of the bed are relative to the homing switches. Also the trigger height in the G31 command. If you started from the config.g file from my repo, then I think that should be all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 06:47AM by dc42.

January 30, 2016 07:26AM
Thanks.
I am going to give it a try and see what happens :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 08:53AM by Fpex.

February 01, 2016 06:14AM
(deleted)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2016 07:12AM by Fpex.

February 01, 2016 09:17AM
Changing the firmware did not solve it. If I print parts without a solid base, the printer gets stuck after few layers. It looks like it decides to make a sudden movement to a point, not necessarily where it is supposed to print, and it stops there forever,
I really have no idea what the issue is.

As example this GCODE prints

[www.dropbox.com]

and this never

[www.dropbox.com]

But until recently they both printed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2016 09:18AM by Fpex.

February 01, 2016 02:20PM
I do notice with the new firmware that the bed temp is pretty good, but the hot end one oscillates between 260 and 275 .... even if i set it at 245!! This is weird.
And the prints when stop looks like they shifted, as if all of a sudden somebody bumped the head two cm along the X axis.

UPDATE: it gets even weirder ... see this screen shot

[www.dropbox.com]

Also transfer via wifi of files started to fail.

I am considering getting a duet 0,6 (if i can find it) and see if a new board solves the problem.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2016 03:00PM by Fpex.

February 01, 2016 03:19PM
Most likely, either your thermistor is sliding in and out of the heater block, or you have a bad connection in the wiring between the Duet and the hot end heater. Examine all the connections for scorch marks.

February 01, 2016 03:42PM
Cables are fine. I inspected every singe one and every soldering. I recalibrate the bed (manual calibration on the ormerod is the worst), rechecked all wires and checked for possible squeezing wires.
I try another print and we will see.

DC42 with your firmware i get no error at all, just a stuck print.

February 01, 2016 03:53PM
Please give more info about the stuck print:

1. Do the heaters stay on?

2. Does the status in the web interface show the printer as homed, or not?

3. What is the status shown in web interface e.g. busy, idle, printing, pausing, resuming, paused.

4. Does the printer respond if you send M122 to it? If yes, post the response.

February 01, 2016 04:39PM
The bed and hit end stay hot at the right temp.
The web interface indicate as status idle and homed.
Motors are locked.

M122 (I did not know of this nice command) reports

M122
Diagnostics
Used output buffers: 4 of 16 (12 max)
Platform Diagnostics:
Memory usage:
Program static ram used: 39856
Dynamic ram used: 41048
Recycled dynamic ram: 1016
Current stack ram used: 2984
Maximum stack ram used: 4872
Never used ram: 11512
Last reset 00:35:43 ago, cause: power up
Last software reset code & available RAM: 0x0003, 11348
Spinning module during software reset: GCodes
Last message before reset: g.m-ےqUǚQ3
PU GeZqIiGQ,Ut[q\+/T'=.@?S12[qZd$Pe+G/aw>pވmlG tfSXas?&K8PgError status: 0
Bed probe heights: 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000
Free file entries: 10
Longest block write time: 0.0ms
Slowest main loop (seconds): 0.009277; fastest: 0.000000
Move Diagnostics:
MaxReps: 0, StepErrors: 0
Heat Diagnostics:
Heater 0: I-accumulator = 0.0
Heater 1: I-accumulator = 0.0
GCodes Diagnostics:
Move available? no
Stack pointer: 0 of 5
Network Diagnostics:
Free connections: 15 of 16
Free transactions: 15 of 16
Webserver Diagnostics:
HTTP sessions: 1 of 8
FTP connections: 0, state 0
Telnet connections: 0

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login