Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament breaks after initial extusion

Posted by jmgijzel 
Filament breaks after initial extusion
February 29, 2016 03:18AM
Hello,

Since a week I have extrusion problems with my Ormerod 2. I am not able to extrude PLA filament.
I cleaned my nozzle, replaced the PTFE tube in the nozzle.
I could extrude the filament manually but when I am using the extruder motor the filament will be extruded for short time and than it breaks.
I replaced the 8mm PTFE tubing in the nozzle again but keep having the same problem.

Does anyone knows what might be the issue?

Extrusion temp: 200C
Ormerod 2 (528.3)

Martijn
Re: Filament breaks after initial extusion
February 29, 2016 03:50AM
Where does the filament break?

I have found that some PLA filaments become brittle if left in the printer overnight. I have to cut the filament back to where it leaves the reel to remove all the brittle filament.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 01, 2016 09:51PM
Thanks for the reply,

I run into some other problems during dis/ assembling the hot-end. But today cleaned out the nozzle. Bought new filament and tried to extrude again.
The same problem occurs. A can extrude filament but it is not even and its not a constant flow. After a while the pressure that is needed to extrude is to high and the gear starts to slip and the extrusion stops.

I extruded the filament at higher temperature but that does not help.

I do not really know what to do.
March 01, 2016 11:51PM
Do you use the stock Extruder or the spring-loaded?

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
March 02, 2016 02:05AM
Is the hot end fan working, running continuously and keeping the heatsink cool?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 02, 2016 07:13AM
Does this happen when printing, or does it also stop extruding when you extrude using the web controls or Pronterface with the nozzle high off the bed? I'm wondering whether it is just a case of your Z height being too low so the nozzle is blocked by the bed.

Dave
March 02, 2016 02:25PM
Thanks for the replies:

My extruder is working again although the extrusion quality is not back at the level it was . It works at lower extrusion rate and some what higher temperature.

@Treito: I am using an stock extruder, but will to see if I can print parts for a spring-load extruder.

@dc42: I checked the temperatures. The temperature of the nozzle seems ok and the heat-break is working.
The cold end does not reach temperatures above 30. The cooling fan is doing its work.

@dmould: The extrusion problem occurred with nozzle free from the bed.

I will continue with printing today see if I can get back at my old quality level.

Martijn
March 03, 2016 03:25AM
I was asking because it also could have happened if the spring would have been too strong or to be more precisely the force applied by the spring could have been too much.
Maybe you have some other issues like a dirty hobbed insert or a different filament diameter. It's hard to say. What do you mean by the quality is not the same as before?

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
March 03, 2016 06:35AM
Have you done any change that could effect the flow though the bowden tube? - e.g. tightened the brass end part against the tube?

Erik
March 03, 2016 06:57AM
At this stage I would suggest replacing the nozzle (and PTFE liner), but I'm not sure how easy they are to get hold of these days - your symptoms sound very similar to mine when I had a partially blocked nozzle. I tried to clear the nozzle but eventually gave up and bought a replacement.

Dave
March 03, 2016 09:35PM
RepRapPro seems to have morphed into RepRapLTD [reprapltd.com] and they now have an eMakerShop listing selling off their old stock. Here's the standard nozzle: [www.emakershop.com]
And here's their storefront: [www.emakershop.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login