Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

problems after ormerod two nozzle update

Posted by tstone 
problems after ormerod two nozzle update
February 28, 2016 12:58PM
Hi

I had a pretty hard time after i decided to update my printer to a two nozzle version. I ordered the dual nozzle upgrade when reprappro was still operational.

I have also a dual nozzle dc42 board. While the single nozzle dc42 board was working very good i now have problems with the board
leveling. Sometimes the printer starts way to low and scratches over the printbed. The new dual nozzles seem to be much sharper
and they just cut through the kapton tape with ease.

I have thought that some screws might be loose but they all are tight and the dc42 board also seems to be operating normally.

So i am really longing for a reliable printer again. So any hints/ideas are appreciated.

Best regards
Tim
Re: problems after ormerod two nozzle update
February 29, 2016 11:28AM
tstone
..The new dual nozzles seem to be much sharper and they just cut through the kapton tape with ease

not much sharper, the flat part of the nozzle is the same, the tip of quickset nozzle is angled a bit sharper, 118 vs the 138 degrees of the one piece nozzle

could be that you (like me) have used a needle file to clean the old style nozzle? - here's a picture of the wear from the needle file

Had problems with bridging, the filament would stick to the big flat part of the nozzle instead of fusing to the former layers so I re-shaped it, problem solved

..So i am really longing for a reliable printer again. So any hints/ideas are appreciated.

Hard to say what the problem might be but if I were you I would zero manually to get printing again and solve the auto probing later

To prevent the nozzle from ripping up the kapton, change the G31 probe height in config.g to a number that will leave the nozzle hanging in a safe distance over the surface, then go through the zeroing routine and use the paper method to manually zero the nozzle by turning the threaded rod anti clock wise

Erik
March 07, 2016 06:07PM
Hi Erik

Thanks for your ideas. Well the angle is indeed steeper of the quickset nozzles but i doubt that this is the cause that it
just rips through my capton tape.

I have also never used a needle to clean the nozzle. Basically i just used misprinted parts for cleaning the little cooled down nozzle.
The plastic melts a little and then pulls everything on the nozzle away. This works best if you hit the right temperature point while the nozzle
cools off.

As dc42 board levelling has been working so great for me it never occured to me to adjust the print height manually. But when i did
i just realized that my print bed is warped and the edges point upwards. So when the nozzle is at the edges it sits on the plate and
is really above the printbed in the middle. I think replacing the aluminium part in the bed will fix that. I wonder what got my bed so out of shape.

Also i noticed that the new smaller fan is very unbalanced and causes a lot of vibration. This might also be a reason for the malfunction of
the leveling sensor? I guess i will replace the sensor and see what happens.

Best regards
Tim

PS: The lathe is really cool. I am also toying the idea of getting one but they are quite pricey take up space and so i decided against it. Are you using your
lathe often?
March 08, 2016 02:15PM
tstone
..Basically i just used misprinted parts for cleaning the little cooled down nozzle.
The plastic melts a little and then pulls everything on the nozzle away. This works best if you hit the right temperature point while the nozzle cools off.

I wipe the nozzle with a strip of leather until temp. drop to 150 but will try your idea, got lots of failed prints :-)

Also i noticed that the new smaller fan is very unbalanced and causes a lot of vibration. This might also be a reason for the malfunction of the leveling sensor? I guess i will replace the sensor and see what happens.

Might be confusing the sensor, a lot of vibrations cant be good - I prefer a fan with ball bearings

PS: The lathe is really cool. I am also toying the idea of getting one but they are quite pricey take up space and so i decided against it. Are you using your
lathe often?

Not much but nice to have when you need it, the tool I use the most is a small drill press, if I had to chose between a lathe and a metal mill I would chose the mill for sure, don't take up much space and can be used as a lathe too

Something like this would be my first choice, mechanical gear box, 100 to 2900rpm

..aint she pretty? (wet eyes) :-)

Erik
March 08, 2016 04:22PM
seems like its ancient, but they dont make them like they used to these days....
March 08, 2016 04:27PM

"wink wink nudge nudge" ;-)

[www.ebay.co.uk]

Erik
March 08, 2016 04:29PM
Is that yours? xD
March 09, 2016 01:40AM
Darathy
Is that yours? xD

No - This is my Arboga. There are many like it, but this one is mine :-)

Erik
March 09, 2016 06:56AM
Something like this would suit me - mill / lathe / drill press

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Dave
March 09, 2016 10:50AM
dmould
Something like this would suit me - mill / lathe / drill press

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Dave

Please please please do not get that machine winking smiley

They are horribly made and not worth the little that they do cost.

I looked at getting one years ago but after going to see one in a Machine-Mart shop I am glad I did not.

Nasty things winking smiley

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
March 10, 2016 08:36AM
Davek0974
They are horribly made and not worth the little that they do cost.

Thanks for the heads-up. I admit I was a bit concerned that it had no reviews. I would not say that it is that cheap.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login