Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adding temperature offset

Posted by Treito 
Adding temperature offset
April 11, 2016 07:01AM
Hello,

like everyone I am messing the temperature underneath the print surface material. Adding the glass and the permant print surface I lose about 10°C constantly. So if I set the temperature to 60°C the surface only has 50°C. If I set it to 120°C the surface only has 110°C.
Is there any possibility to add an offset?

Best regards,

Sven

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
Re: Adding temperature offset
April 11, 2016 07:33AM
IIUC the figures given for recommended bed temperature on most sites refer to the thermistor temperature rather than bed surface temperature, so you'd end up adjusting all the temperatures. The difference (offset) is going to change depending on ambient temperature and print size - ISTM that that the temperature under the print will be higher than the exposed bed surface due to the insulation of the plastic. At the end of the day the temperatures of bed and hotend do not have to be accurate, only consistent, and you find what works for you by trial-and-error, and use those for all prints with a given material.

Dave
April 11, 2016 03:04PM
Hello Dave,

There was a new discussion regarding PrintBite and I know that FilaPrint is handling this in the same way. Both manufacturers recommend a print surface temperature. Knowing my offset I am adding this offset by myself in my slicing software, but it would be great if I could compare the value with the measurement by my IR-thermometer.
My own printer design will maybe be able to get the temperature of the print surface bottom. I hope it will be ready at summer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2016 03:04PM by Treito.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
April 12, 2016 06:54AM
Treito
Hello Dave,

There was a new discussion regarding PrintBite and I know that FilaPrint is handling this in the same way. Both manufacturers recommend a print surface temperature. Knowing my offset I am adding this offset by myself in my slicing software, but it would be great if I could compare the value with the measurement by my IR-thermometer.
My own printer design will maybe be able to get the temperature of the print surface bottom. I hope it will be ready at summer.

An IR thermometer is unlikely to be accurate - the reading of an IR thermometer always depends on the emissivity of the surface you are measuring and so has to be calibrated for each particular surface. Transparent and reflective (e.g. silver) surfaces are particularly problematic with IR thermometers. A contact thermometer is far more accurate.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login