Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How big's your fan?

Posted by WesBrooks 
How big's your fan?
May 17, 2018 02:26PM
Hi All,

Ran two back to back builds one with out, and following with a newly fitted part fan and there was a clear improvement when running with the part fan while running PLA. I'm still getting some of the sharper overhanging corners curling up. A the moment I've only got the little fan that was used to cool the PSUs on the early Ormerod 2s. Is it worth buying one of the thicker fans used as the hotend cooling fan or do I need to look at other areas? This is Filaprint's PLA running with a bed temp of 60|50 (no curl from bed) and extrusion temp of 190|180.
Re: How big's your fan?
May 18, 2018 08:05PM
I've tried several various fans and fan combinations but never could get full cooling coverage needed to eliminate curling. I upgraded to a Berd Air pump for part cooling and it works better than any fans that I've tried. However, the stock cooling ring that comes with the kit did not work well for me and the pump in its stock configuration is very loud when set at 100%. I experimented with a number of different modifications before settling on a 3.75 mm outside diameter brass tube with a flattened tip pointing at the tip of the hot end. I am getting great results with the "fan" set at 25%.
May 19, 2018 01:19AM
There's a lot being discussed about these pumps at the moment and my feeling from what you've said is that it isn't worth chasing the best fan setup, but more worth implementing one of these. Thanks.
May 19, 2018 04:18PM
WesBrooks
There's a lot being discussed about these pumps at the moment and my feeling from what you've said is that it isn't worth chasing the best fan setup, but more worth implementing one of these. Thanks.

I found it to be worth it - a good centrifugal high pressure blower (like Delta Electronic BUB0512HB DC12 0.24A) and a proper designed air duct (like the Cobra from thingiverse) and a bit of work

[www.thingiverse.com]
[forums.reprap.org]

Erik
May 20, 2018 12:00AM
Thanks for the pictures, nice work there and appears to cure the issues I'm having. The pumped air systems maybe running well, but I'm not seeing many options for suppliers in the UK and a few are using vacuum pumps for pressure which won't do their longevity much good.

Is the Berd in Berd-Air the name of the pump product name or the name put on the system by the person selling it as a product for 3D printers?
May 20, 2018 12:27AM
I think berd air is abproduct name for the system as applied to 3D printers and it appears it was discussed here before being released on makerhive:

[forum.seemecnc.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login