Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reg Pye's SmartRap build

Posted by regpye 
Re: Reg Pye's SmartRap build
June 19, 2014 10:39AM
It looks like there is just more friction now on the Z belt, to avoid the fall. I'm not sure.
June 19, 2014 10:47AM
smartfriendz
lot of work here again regpye, impressive as usual smiling smiley

the new geared extruder seems more light ? cool to try i think. I just changed to separated extruder so we can choose between direct drive or .... maybe this one ?? thank you .

About the new system for Z GT2, I would love to try it ( i would for now integrate on the main model to minimise changes for now ). How does it work ? I mean the break system ?

thx

I still have to wire everything together and give a real test. I will try and do that in the next few days.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
June 19, 2014 10:49AM
Aze_aze_aze
It looks like there is just more friction now on the Z belt, to avoid the fall. I'm not sure.

It is not falling now, but it needs testing properly before we will know if it is good enough.

[regpye.com.au]
June 19, 2014 10:12PM
Lovely design!

Looking forward to see thisone do the robot dance.
June 23, 2014 09:34PM
Ran into a couple of other problems, but have them sorted out now.
The pressure on the Z belt was pulling on the assembly so I needed to fit an aluminium bracket to give it some support and stablity. Easy to do and works fine.
Other problem was keeping the belt located on the small idler bearings, and that was overcome by printing a cheek plate to go over the bearings, works well too and easy to setup.

BTW: I made this model pretty tall so I can test big prints.

I intend to change the way the extruder is mounted after MeIT gave me a good idea, so I will mount it like this instead.

Easier to get at the filament, easier to see where to load the filament and more stable too. One extra part to print, that is all. I will/have removed the foot for when I print the body next time because now it is no longer needed, so that makes up for the extra part in filament.

[regpye.com.au]
June 23, 2014 10:16PM
This group is lucky to have you sir, for constantly trying things which not all of us can afford to do. :-)

If there's one thing I wish someone tries though, it would be the fixed X rods like the reprap ormerod. Hehe
June 23, 2014 11:02PM
MelT
This group is lucky to have you sir, for constantly trying things which not all of us can afford to do. :-)

If there's one thing I wish someone tries though, it would be the fixed X rods like the reprap ormerod. Hehe

Well thanks for that comment, it is very much appreciated.
And I am doing all of this on an old age pension, it keeps me off the street so to speak.

[regpye.com.au]
June 24, 2014 02:51AM
Reg please share the STL's for the X and Z i'd like to give this a try.

Also i see an option to use the same parts of the X axis to be used on the Y axis (as a carriage like Cliffs wooden SmartRap)
then it's a matter of printing one file 2 times. That also would make production a tiny bit simpler?
June 24, 2014 03:02AM
BackEMF

Also i see an option to use the same parts of the X axis to be used on the Y axis (as a carriage like Cliffs wooden SmartRap)
then it's a matter of printing one file 2 times. That also would make production a tiny bit simpler?

OK, no problem, I will upload the files a little later today and send you a PM when I have done it.
I am not able to do it for maybe a couple of hours, they are on another computer.

[regpye.com.au]
June 28, 2014 04:48AM
BackEMF

Will share the rest of the files soon, I will put them up on my website with the others.
The extruders and the Stand-alone Y Axis is already up there.

Almost ready to wire up and test. Still a few things to test here, so that is why I have not put all the files up yet.

Top of the Z axis showing the idler bearing assembly for the GT2 belt.

Will start wiring soon, bit of a mess like it is now.

Totally new printhead, untested. The metal part will be laser cut if successful and enough demand for it.

[regpye.com.au]
June 29, 2014 03:05AM
August 08, 2014 09:02PM
I am still working on this project. Just been very busy lately, so I haven't had the time available to do much more.
The machine is build and just needs to have the wiring completed and then program the board followed by testing.

[regpye.com.au]
Anonymous User
August 08, 2014 10:24PM
Hey Reg. The vertical support idea is good. I've had a little success with 1/16" wire rope as opposed to structural support. Could be applicable to your predicament.

August 08, 2014 10:45PM
napalmvictory
Hey Reg. The vertical support idea is good. I've had a little success with 1/16" wire rope as opposed to structural support. Could be applicable to your predicament.

That is an interesting design in your photo.

[regpye.com.au]
Anonymous User
August 08, 2014 11:15PM
Not so much a design as it is a concept. Stabilizing the Z axis with cables. Might add a couple inches to the Z height on a number of printers if it can be properly implemented.
August 09, 2014 03:39AM
napalmvictory
Not so much a design as it is a concept. Stabilizing the Z axis with cables. Might add a couple inches to the Z height on a number of printers if it can be properly implemented.

Yes, they use that idea on bridges and it sure holds a lot of weight too.

[regpye.com.au]
August 13, 2014 07:53AM
I did a bit more on the machine today. No photos, but I got most of the wiring done.
A few more afternoons and I should be able to program the board and then test.
I have to try and fit all my jobs in so that I can complete them all, so it is taking a bit longer than I expected for this one.

[regpye.com.au]
August 14, 2014 06:52AM
Looking forward to this update!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login