Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Version Confusion

Posted by rkfiske 
Version Confusion
May 18, 2014 11:40AM
Hey guys,
I ordered up some plastic parts to start my build and was going through the stl files on thingiverse and noticed the parts I received were different. The main differences is that instead of the parts listed as bottom_center and bottom_y_ramps and the other ones that seem to be the platform pieces, I have the fix_back parts listed in the dev/0.4.7 folder. I also have other parts that I see listed in the same dev branch. I was promised the most recent parts, and I do not in any way blame or accuse my supplier, I am positive all the confusion rests on my shoulders. I shot him an email but I know it's the weekend and he's most likely enjoying it. I thought I might try to get as much info as I can about what's going on before I talk to him next so.. I'm turning to you guys!

My question, well... my questions are numerous, but my main question is that I'm confused about version 0.4.7 listed in release as well as dev. I'm also confused that the release appears to have a well thought out plastic bottom yet the dev version uses a wooden board. To add to my confusion, when I look at documentation at the smartfriendz site, older model documentation shows assembly with the plastic base but the more recent kit documentation shows construction with a wooden base. Did something occur that caused the design to go from wooden base --> plastic base -->wooden base?

I just want to figure out what I'm dealing with and how best to continue further. Thanks in advance.
Re: Version Confusion
May 18, 2014 01:15PM
Welcome rkfiske,

The wooden base is more stable due to the wider floor surface. Serge is working hard to make more smartraps, package and post them, etc. still he manages to find time to make documentation, and design new parts, and answer questions.

I think the documentation is good enough to get your smartrap up and running, and yes you need to do some thinking. That's part of the fun. The design is easy to understand and as you can see it is so flexible that all the different ideas improvement and experiments are easy to add or mix.

The many versions and remixes on top of that can be a little confusing. Though those projects are great food for the mind.
May 18, 2014 05:22PM
Appreciate the reply. I'm no stranger to thinking things through, just wanted to clarify that the design moved away from a plastic base and returned to the wood base. Just looking to understand the timeline involved and where my particular parts I'm dealing with fit into that timeline. Hopefully I'll post up some build work later on. Getting some good progress this morning/afternoon between weekend tasks smiling smiley
May 18, 2014 06:16PM
Post some pics of your parts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login